Big Nugget Target ID Info

Every piece of gold I have run across my machine I get a reading between 42 and 48.... Someone showed me a 1oz. nugget and when I ran my machine over it the target i.d was 82 so I was guessing that it wasn't a good quality if any gold at all...the person said because of its size the reading was higher....WEEEELLLLLLL when I got home I ran a 1/2 oz and a DWT piece over the coil and each pulled a reading of 44 and 47...

I ask if this is correct because while hunting I have run across targets of 80 and up and from my experience with my machine that is usually bird shot or some other metal other than gold and I ignore some targets because of this...AM I PASSING UP GOLD NUGGETS???

Possibly. The gold VDI number is a mix of shape, purity, and size but in general the bigger the nugget the higher the VDI number. Usually when nugget detecting either 1. Dig everything or 2. Dig all non-ferrous readings.

There are very rare exceptions. If I was someplace somebody was going nuts with a .22 than I might ignore the VDI reading for a .22 shell casing. But there are nuggets that will give the same VDI reading so you are trading that risk against digging every shell casing.

The 1.83 oz specimen I dug with the FORS Gold read like a coin and in fact I thought an old coin was going to pop out of the ground.

I have tested one pound gold nuggets on the MXT and similar machines and they read the same as an aluminum beer can.

• Like 1

Damn Steve I didn't wanna here that answer!!!! Now I feel like I missed my big nugget...looks like from now on I'm digging everything...and I've been in some good places lately that were known for big gold but the numbers were showing too high for gold ..SO I THOUGHT... I FEEL SO GREEN!!! lol lol lol thnx for the info!!!