Fisher Gold Bug 2 Pinpointer Conversion

Not too long ago I posted about converting a Tesoro Silver uMax into a pinpointer at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/980-tesoro-silver-umax-pinpointer-conversion/. I finally sold the Silver uMax, but I kept the shortened rod and put the slip mount for a Gold Bug 2 on it. This way I could convert my Gold Bug 2 into a similar setup which I still have today. I put it together this morning just to show it to you!

post-1-0-27793700-1433612923_thumb.jpg

It is a bit unwieldy with all the extra cable but it actually works just fine. The bent coat hanger is just a hook for hanging it off my belt. The entire unit is 16" long.

• Like 6

Steve, do you experience any falsing from having the coil so close to the metal box or cable pigtail?

Kind of surprising but no. If the coil was moving much relative to all that metal it would signal but as it is it works just as if it were on a longer rod.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Variation on the theme with a homemade plastic rod assembly posted at http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/11579-gold-bug-2-mini-conversion/

Well...........I guess great minds think alike :)

Mines not as short but the mod is good.

I moved the coil till the GB2 started making noise then backed it off a couple inches when I made it.

And, that's SPACE AGE PLASTIC!!!! Not schedule 40 PVC :)

Tom H.

• Like 1

I love it! Looks like one of the mini golf putters for LITTLE kids.... Full size club head, full size handle, just super short shaft! I took the middle section out of my MXT Pro to hunt under a crawl space once. It was funny lookin too, but made detecting possible. I had tried with the full length detector and it was just too cramped under there.