Bogene's Settings

I loved the Bogene setting on my old 4000 at Moore Creek, AK.  The main reason was the sheer volume of hot rocks and auditory overload from running it for long days.  I lowered the threshold to one or two notches below audible and maxed out the sensitivity which cut out about half of the hot rock sounds.  What I listened for then was anything that brought the threshold up and relatively steady.  The Moore Creek "hotrocks" were more often "cold rocks" which caused the classic Boing sound after you passed the rock.  With no threshold you got a huge Boing which could not be repeated in the other direction.  If you went over them with an audible threshold, and swung the coil slow enough, you got a null then Boing sound.   Gold for the most part caused a soft rising meew signal in both directions.  To be fair, we were pushing big coils and looking for the big gold, quarter oz and larger.  I found a 4.9 oz specimen nugget down about 18" that offered the ever so faint mew sound.  It was surrounded by hotrocks and I doubt I  would have distinguished it from the hotrocks with an audible threshold.  I bet Steve wishes he could revisit his old Moore Creek property with the 7000.  I'm still waiting on my backordered 7000.  Chompin at the bit as it were. 

Key statements in the following video. High Yield is best on one ounce and smaller nuggets. General is better on nuggets weighing several ounces or more. Quite a gray area in the middle! Bottom line is I hunt in High Yield and I will let the multi ounce nuggets take care of themselves. I am pretty confidant I will hit them anyway. But if I was targeting a more mineralized area specifically looking for deeper, larger nuggets, I would run in general.

That's what I gathered from when I watched those Minelab videos. I think General and Deep just turn the sensitivity down a little so in hot ground signals from metallic targets will still be audible and not disappear in ground chatter. With the sensitivity down you'll miss out on those small targets but you may still find something. Especially a large target which should be pretty unmissable with the GPZ. And if you're hunting in mild soil conditions I'm pretty sure those large targets would be screaming in High Yield.

Best analogy is the Minelab Eureka Gold. Three frequencies, 60 kHz (High Yield), 20 kHz (General), 6.4 kHz (Extra Deep). You would make similar choices for similar reasons as to which frequency to use. None is better than the other in all ways, it just depends on the situation.

On 6/9/2015 at 8:13 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

.........High Yield is best on one ounce and smaller nuggets. General is better on nuggets weighing several ounces or more. I am pretty confidant I will hit them anyway. 

Steve I've seen larger than ounce pieces give poor responses in the High Yield modes so it pays to go over the deeper sections in General to be sure a big piece is not lurking there somewhere, especially the more solid type gold.

The Gold modes will liven targets up differently, High Yield is brilliant on disseminated gold and nuggets from around an ounce but more particularly around the 10 gram mark and down. General is the best outright depth on larger than 1/2 ounce right through to mega size unless the target signal is very fast time constant (specimen or irregularly shaped gold). There is also a corresponding increase in ground signal with the use of High Yield which can counteract the response of very deep targets.

JP

• Like 2

Don`t know about deep, haven`t tried it enough, but I have found in my ground so far, general is better down to 1/4 ounce solids if at depth but not not if shallow. Thus if I`m in shallow ground I`ll hunt in high yield, if in deep ground general. Whoops JPs timed in. How you going young fellow?

If I am getting gold I will toss everything possible at the ground. But most ground will see my coil just once, and so where I hunt and with the odds I face I choose High Yield as my default mode. That's all I am saying. Other people have their own choices to make and mine should not influence anyone elses unduly.

Hi Steve definitely was not trying to criticize, and your methods are sound. I was just wanting to impart some of my experiences on undug targets that proved to me there are aspects of General that need to be taken into consideration if maximum depth is sought on larger targets.

For the record I spend most of my time in High Yield too because that provides me with a steady income stream while I patiently wait for a larger coil to become available, then General will be getting a thorough work out.

JP

• Like 2