Minelab X-Terra 705

That`s a trying time you`ve had Paul, bloody Goddess of Gold strikes again. She`s a witch, trying all and anyway to keep us from the goodies. :rolleyes:  

• Like 1

She cant keep it all!!!!!! Vic---

This should be an easy fix on the coil brackets, i will just glue some washers on whats left of the brackets and keep on swinging!!!!

That was on my 7.5khz 9" concentric coil ----i would love to try a 6 in or 3 inch concentric too....... all possibilities..

I cant believe the brackets snapped---i'm only weighing in at about 290 now and it should have held up better as a walking stick down the hill-----hahahaha.

Learned a trick when a re- ran a video on the 705 when i got home---i had not been ground balancing properly for manual or auto tracking--------so many little steps...lol

Changing that routine should help me--the ground must be hotter than i thought over here....

paul

What a trip! Sorry to hear about your coil.

Did you use the tones function? I like the 3 tone function myself in the park. Perhaps this spot is where a DD would work better? Sounds like a great spot. Good luck with the coil repair.

Dean

That ground up there is why they make PI detectors. Just loaded with magnetite and there are places even a SDC 2300 will struggle. Bottom line is it can be a real battle with any VLF in places like that. Smaller coils, DD coils, low sensitivity settings etc are all possible ways that will help. There is no magic solution for a VLF in really bad ground however. Not the best place to use a new machine as a person usually needs to be an expert VLF operator to tackle locations like that.

Sorry to hear about the coil.

• Like 2

Thanks Steve,

I guess because the SDC wasnt having that many problems there, (except for trash) i assumed the ground was quiet----mistake!--- but the Garrett AT Gold seemed to do ok----( maybe---probably-!-- settings on my part????)

But i need to really get back out there and fiddle some more--no way to tell if the detector can handle it or not the way I am going at it.... I will try some more and let you all know---

I'm kicking myself for not trying the 18.75 elliptical while i was already out there----!!!!grrrrr--that was a real faux-pauly....

Yeah, breaking the coil hurt my feelings.... Usually while using my 4000 and the 18" round down in Greaterville i would snap the plastic bolts because i would lean on it..... always had to have spares on hand--- this was different in the 705 because the coil ears were weaker than the 1/4 in nylon bolt....!!!

I almost have all the parts to fix it but i needed a 2 inch x 1/4 inch nylon bolt and couldnt find on in Truckee-- (the old Minelab 3500 ones i had would probably had worked but i gave them all to the guy who bought it--

i found some dandy nylon washers that I am going to epoxy on the outside of the coil ears (hence the extra length needed for the bolts) and that should do it----next time i will be looking to replace a broken shaft because the ears will be too strong ---hahahaha

• Like 1

Paul: Make sure that your washers are plastic (abs or pvc) and not nylon. Epoxy will only stick to nylon long enough to fool ya.

I have some good reading material that will teach you the whys and wherefors of drift mining that you are welcome to borrow but you have to leave your left foot for a return deposit. If you get some time come on over and I'll give you a history tour. You'll be astounded at how this old planet has obliterated some major drift mining operations where 50+ men and there families lived and worked for many years.

Not discouraged.. I like trying to figure it out..

In my heart I think it will work good for me in this trashy arena I work/play in..

I

Also, I can't forget the beach hunting that I have available here in Truckee.

Well Paul That 705 and The SL sounds Like a Good sensible Set up, VLF for Trash and the SL for Hot Ground,

You Don't have to Sell Body Parts To Have A Good Kit, I went A Similar Route

Good Luck Mate,, john

• Like 1

Paul, Try a piece of PVC pipe as used by plumbers, say 4" dia you can cut and then fashion shape by softening with a electric heat gun. You`ll find the PVC Solvent Cement the plumbers use ideal for gluing, takes well to coil plastic. Clean up with acetone(finger nail polish remover) used sparingly. Finish off with epoxy if desired, but doubt you`ll need it. Be cautious with the solvent cement as it can melt the insulation on some coil wires. PVC once softened can be moulded fairly easy with say a angle that will give the glue more surface area to take, thus stronger. Easy to file and looks good.

Just a hint from a old tradesman.

• Like 1