Rye Patch Area Wetter Than Normal?

Wow, that was exciting! Just got back coming from east through Elko, Winnemucca, Fernly, etc. thounderstorms and pouring rain, especially from Winnemucca to Reno. At Mill City they had the ramp closed clearing what looked like flash flood debris. Needless to say things are not drying out in Northern Nevada!

ELKO – Flash flood watches remain in effect for most of Nevada, including the Elko area, through this evening.

Significant thunderstorm activity was occurring both north and south of Elko early this afternoon, according to the National Weather Service. Half-inch hail and wind gusts of 40-50 mph were possible.

“A low pressure system moving over the Great Basin will interact with tropical moisture from the remnants of Hurricane Blanca, producing showers and thunderstorms today resulting in areas of heavy rain with localized flash flooding possible,” noted the weather service. “The heavier rain will taper off by this evening.”

Travelers should monitor weather forecasts and take precautions, particularly near creeks, streams, near higher terrain and burn scars, and near normally dry washes.

Source http://elkodaily.com/news/flash-flooding-possible-through-this-evening/article_32f0c5dd-3716-5257-b772-b6e0fc85d8d8.html

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I was up there also. I spent tuesday hiking about 3 miles down a very steep 4WD trail into the american river. It was warm and very humid and by the time I got to the bottom my clothes were soaking wet and that was taking it as easy as possible and only carrying my Zed a pick and a small backpack. The climb back out took almost three hours and I was exhausted. I then headed directly out to lovelock and saw some lightning along the way in the Nevada desert, but only a few drops of rain. tuesday night and the next morning it came down pretty hard, so instead of heading out to rye patch and some other areas I just turned around and drove back to Downieville. Im going to drive back up next monday hoping I can find some decent ground, or try JP's advice on salt tuning.

Sure strange weather, Oh well... just part of the fun I guess, If you always new what was coming life would be pretty dull. You just have to keep going...

thanks for your update on the conditions, what do you think I might see next week when I go out there? Ive never been there during or after a rain.

Mill City Storm 6/10/15 wiped out star point RV park.

post-762-0-76513300-1434079948_thumb.jpg

post-762-0-48441200-1434079984_thumb.jpg

post-762-0-17864100-1434080214_thumb.jpg

Yes, hope no one was injured and that not too much property was lost, on the up side i guess water runoff like that could expose fresh ground and move things around a bit out there.