Gps With Built In Camera?

ok, my garmin 650 is way overpriced I think, it can be challenging for me to use sometimes when I have to re-configure things like the coordinates format to match the particular map or source I'm using, there are a lot of data types supported, but the menus are intuitive after you use it a little. 

other than that , I use it all the time... when I'm driving or walking anywhere that I've never been before I'm confident i won't get lost. it gets satellite connection really fast, very dependable, it works everywhere even inside my home, I can track movement within my home. I can leave trails wherever I go and save them, I keep the trails and can return to many different places later. unless I clear it I'm getting a pretty good road map of the trails at rye patch. I can zoom in very close and easily see where my path was walking or driving. the maps are expensive but give good terrain detail and show some mining information also you can overlay high res images again with the correct base map.

way points are easy to set and I can include additional information and names if I want, the waypoint button is on the home screen so its easy to access.

the camera will take geo tagged pictures, I've taken a few pictures, but not used them. I did take a geo tag photo of a meteorite find and may use that one. other than that I don't know much about the camera. One of the reasons i chose this model was the screen size, for me anything smaller is difficult to see and hard for me to tell where i am on the map or where the map is in relation to everything else. this garmin is just big enough for me to use comfortably, anything smaller in screen size would be less useful. I have not used any geo hunt features or some of the other stuff, but the things you don't use are easy to ignore.

• Like 1

I am consistantly pleasantly surprised by Verizons coverage in remote areas.

Not much of a cheerleader for companies like this but in this regard I am appreciative.

I like the iPhone 6, it is easy to use, good in bright light, gets good enough reception,

has a good camera and gps-like programs (like BCN), work well.

I do not rely solely on a smartphone but they work very well in most situations.

I have owned several Garmin units and find them to be very good

especially if you take a few minutes to learn how they work. 

Thanks guys. 2 years ago,I was standing on a small mountain top on north side of Phoenix, using a Walmart Next 10 cheapie phone, and could NOT get a signal, dang thing still said Searching.My new friend standing next to me had 4 of 5 bars on his Verizon phone and was chatting away.

I was up there to check out a spot I had map dowsed for gold on an aerial photo,plus my dad had just passed away, and I needed a diversion. I didn't get any gold that day, but there were green schist and white quartz outcroppings and float all over the gulley where I had marked and up at the top of the little mountain and just 20 feet below the top, was a large quartz outcropping with a greenstone schist area beside it that somebody had carved out a 4 foot deep shaft into. I was examining the quartz outdropping, and it was VERY sharp in spots. Hmm, I bet them old timers blasted this outcropping with dynamite and that would account for the large rectangular blocks in the gulley below?

I brought some of the green schist and white rusty quartz home with me, pulverized it, panned it out, but not a single speck of gold showed up? Maybe its too small to see? There is a LOT of invisible gold I am told. Them old timers musta got something for all the work they did there you would think?

One of these days, I will send my remaining sample rocks in for an assay and see what they say...

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a very good GPS. 

Garmin Foretrex 401

I have used one for many years. I used the ancestor of these things thirty years ago in the military (too big to wrist mount). 

Mike