Gps With Built In Camera?

Glad this topic came up ...I've been looking into a little handheld gps ... Been using my phone but even with a ottorbox its still taking an ass whoopin..

Was looking at the etrex but don't really know much about them... I've gotten lost a few times and its alittle scary around my parts...

Hi Fred, I agree and etrex is all you need, they are very good units. 

I am pushing 'way past the ages mentioned here.

I don't think anyone should let their age stop them from learning and using a gps. 

It will certainly make their detecting experience easier and it's not hard to learn.

I agree with those who say it is important to mark your vehicle if you are in a new area.

People who don't  do that many times wind up doing a ton of unnecessary hiking.

Again, this is a simple thing to do with a gps and once you do it you will see what a luxury it is

not to have to worry about how to get back to base.

fwiw

• Like 2

Buy a used smartphone and load Back Country Navigator via wifi.    you can save topo maps that work offline, claim boundries and tracks to the claim - for a lot less than buying a gps.   Also you can load a find-my-car app too.

• Like 2

Jimgior, that's pretty much what I have come down to these days too.

Back Country Navigator is cool.

That and an app like 'Find My Car'

has made a gps in many situations, unnecessary.

While we're sort of talking about smartphones,

has anyone noticed any interference with the 7000 and a smartphone?

Curious…

Not noticed any interference with the smartphone and GPZ as yet, have my smartphone in top left hand pocket only couple of inches from WM12, got to keep any metal away from right hand side when retrieving those smallies that's for sure.

GPS data is as important to my prospecting as the detector, especially as memory deteriorates with age. Now with most GPSs being capable of transferring to and from the PC with USB it is far more convenient and accurate to when one had to do it manually. 

Concealed carry/tactical shirts are great in tandem with a cellphone or GPS. They have quick access velcro or plastic zippered breast pockets that keep the device from falling in the water or into your diggings and its real easy to pull them out and look at them without interfering with the harness or a hydration pack since the pockets face inwards and not upwards.

I haven't noticed cell interference, but the Z will start talking on channel 20 or 22 (forgot which one) on a radio if you get radio within a few inches of the Z control box so talking on that channel might also interfere with the Z. It also interferes with my pinpointer (or vice versa) unless they are about 4-5 feet apart.

BCN is awesome, I just record every excursion I take and export to KMZ and look at all my tracks on Google Earth, annotate them, and find those little hidden washes I always missed somehow or avoid backtracking over past unproductive sites. It's not accurate enough for final gridding but it is accurate enough to find little 10'x10' islands of missed land within large patches and humans being humans we all tend to walk similar paths and miss those exact same little patches and they can hide some nice stuff in plain view of real hammered places occasionally.

• Like 2

So, are those Bushnell Track Back mini GPS units any good? I think they are around $60 and have up to 3 tracks with a Compass pointer. Maybe I could handle one of those and at least get back to my car.

Heck, I was in the woods in Missouri years ago, metal detecting around this old Civil War era hotel foundation. We were told it was supposedly haunted and night was falling. I looked up and my 2 buddys had both left the area and needless to say, I was getting a mite scared. I sat down a minute as panic was setting in and thought it out and remembered the trailer we were staying at was at the top of the hill I was on, so I hiked up the wooded slope until I hit a dirt road finally and the trailer was close, whew....no GPs back in them days, only a compass, and most people that I know ,including me, haven't the brains to use one of those either.

Tom--

First you have to find out from your buddies which carrier works in your area--

Verizon works here in NorCal, but I used to use T-Mobile down in AZ ---so figure that out first---

then get a plain Jane Android cell smart phone ----

you can start out using Straight Talk from WalMart for 45.00 a month---if you dont like it or cant understand how the sim cards work-----ask the kids at the Wal Mart counter---or your grandkids!!!! lolo

http://www.walmart.c...ice:$150 - $200

http://www.walmart.c...tphone/44465722

Easier to go to Wal Mart and see what they have---get the absolute biggest screen you can afford---!!!!

ANd if T-Moblie works in your area..... I have a Chinese Doogee phone you can have--it is a good phone, but i cant use T-Mobile here in NorCal....then all you would have to buy would be a 45.00 prepaid Straight Talk sim card ----and start playing around---- if you dont like it you can send it back----

Either way--the Straight Talk phones are the way to go if you dont have a big family plan already where you can just add a line.

Hope this helps a little---remember---when in doubt hang around the electronics counter at Wal Mart or Best Buy----- DONT DO A CONTRACT

https://goo.gl/photo...UN9rGqj5io8mbeA