Dropped My Zed

so, I was out at the rye patch with my gpz digging holes and having fun, I had just dropped a 40 caliber slug in my pocket and was down on one knee with my buddy zed resting atop the other. I let go of it for just a second while it was resting on my leg and twisted a little while using two hands to slip my pick in its holder and zed slipped about a foot and a half or so to the ground, the bungee was off. I checked it out and everything was working perfect so I'm thinking good no problem. Im swinging zed a little more and happen to take a closer look at the bottom and notice a crack in the case, now Im bummed my good friend zed is hurt and its my fault. the good news is everything is working fine, it did not fall far or hit hard but it did hit a pointed rock in just the right way i guess. the plastic case is egg shell thin so be very careful. I put a piece of tape over the crack and suppose I could just live with it but will likely call mine lab and find out the cost of repair.

the good news, i was digging a nice signal near an old sage brush stump and found a Rye Patch meteorite the size of a dime... my first.

• Like 2

I'll add the chinsy plastic to my ever growing list of disappointing design flaws in the 7000. My coil is now starting to flop around. I guess I'll have to barrow some plastic washers from VA Paul and hope I don't break something trying to re engineer the coil mounting.

I find it absolutely amazing that minelab can be so far ahead of the game in electronics, yet miss so many things o on the case/coil/headphone plug... on their equipment...

It is almost like their QA department is non existent....

Very simple things that should not be...

• Like 2

maybe I'm lucky that the pounds of metal in my legs keeps my from getting a ZED.......

• Like 1

I'll add the chinsy plastic to my ever growing list of disappointing design flaws in the 7000. My coil is now starting to flop around. I guess I'll have to barrow some plastic washers from VA Paul and hope I don't break something trying to re engineer the coil mounting.

Have you tried turning the knobs on it? Tightened mine up a little.

• Like 1

Tort.

I'll give it a try before I screw something up - as I am prone to do.

El D. I have a simple solution for the 7000 not being ADA compliant. I'll find the target with the Z and you dig it out. You would feel really good about yourself and I could cover a lot more ground. a definite win/ win situation! Anything new at I.H.?

One of the very first things that happened to me when I got my nice, new GPZ 7000 is I leaned it up against my truck. It slid sideways and down onto the ground hard. And broke the footrest on one side.

post-1-0-69540000-1434910095_thumb.jpg

Luckily this part is replaceable but I have no idea at what cost. I guess I may as well find out and try and get one but for now it can stay broken.

If I had put my protective cover on BEFORE using the detector this would not have happened.

One of the very first things that happened to me when I got my nice, new GPZ 7000 is I leaned it up against my truck. It slid sideways and down onto the ground hard. And broke the footrest on one side.

minelab-gpz-7000-broken-footrest.jpg

Luckily this part is replaceable but I have no idea at what cost. I guess I may as well find out and try and get one but for now it can stay broken.

If I had put my protective cover on BEFORE using the detector this would not have happened.

Mine broke too. Kellyco sells a parts kit for the CTX 3030 that comes with replacement feet and an armrest for $10. Exact same part as the one on our GPZ.

• Like 2

Great info Tortuga! Thanks!! I knew it was same part as my CTX and figured somebody would be selling it as a CTX part by now but had not been able to find it yet.

Minelab Part number 3011-0039 for CTX includes the armrest, and note the armrest and lock mechanism in the CTX is different than that on the GPZ so getting this part number will get the CTX armrest cup. But for $10 not a huge deal. The stand itself must only cost a couple bucks.

The GPZ manual lists an armrest and stand kit but no part number.