Dropped My Zed

The thing is the ZED is the most expensive Nugget Machine ever produced and seeing as it cost between 10700 to 16.6k depending where you buy it, One Fault is One Too Many, and it is 4 times more than any of its Competitors and because of it's Cost, I think it is an insult when bits keep falling off or Breaking, I have An old Micronta 4003 Detector that I bought form Tandy's for my Son In 1997 and Guess what, It's still in One Piece and Still Works.

I think they should Recall them and fit new Housings, Because some of the people have blown all their savings or got bank Loans etc and got into debt to Own one of these Machines because of the 40% Depth Claim and at the Rate of the Problems between the ZED and the SDC I doubt if many will still be working by time some folks have paid off their Loans,

That wont happen with My Machines or The GPX's

The GPZ just is what it is.

It's the most high tech and expensive detector there is.

You have a choice to either buy one or get "the next best thing" which costs thousands of dollars less (GPX, SDC, ATX etc.)

If there were three or four other machines out there that were competing closely with the GPZ from other manufacturers we'd see A LOT more refinement and "value". I'm not impressed with the build quality of my GPZ. Minelab says it's tough but it looks and feels like a $500 machine, not a $10k one.

I like Minelab and I like my GPZ, but without strong competition Minelab could basically polish a turd, call it the GPZ 9000, sell it for $20k and there would still be buyers.

• Like 5

No John, that is not it per se. However, this is and will remain the forum where calm and reason prevails. You being an admitted rabid owner of a rival brand and non-owner of the GPZ will find there is little credibility to be had by piling on a machine others own. Let the people experiencing the issues speak for themselves. I am all for constructive criticism, but surely owners of any detector are more qualified to comment on any machines perceived strengths and weaknesses than non-owners.

I wasn't Going to reply, But as for Being A Rabid Owner of A Rival Brand,, Thanks,

Here's what you Don't Know:-

So Far To Date I have Owned In This Order, Minelab Musketeer Advantage, GP 3500, Sovereign GT, The Etrac and the Quatro, Being Australian I Bought everything else that Had A MineLab Logo On It, From Shirts to Ball Caps by the Box Load, to Back Packs etc, Plus Coils and Battery Packs and about every Accessory they ever came out with, I must have spent well over 20K on minelab Products Retail.

I would go out and Buy these Two Machines Tomorrow If it was not for Certain Issue's,

That's A Bit Harsh Mate. See Ya

I own one. All my got to say is, while going through some rough terrain. Trying to maneuver with detector in hand. I barely hit the black plastic foot. It cracked it in half. I had to gorilla glue it back on. I use my tools, not abuse them. IMHO it just seems that a little more thought could have went into some little details to make the machine more bulletproof. Not bashing. Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one.

• Like 1

I own one. All my got to say is, while going through some rough terrain. Trying to maneuver with detector in hand. I barely hit the black plastic foot. It cracked it in half. I had to gorilla glue it back on. I use my tools, not abuse them. IMHO it just seems that a little more thought could have went into some little details to make the machine more bulletproof. Not bashing. Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one.

Scott, I use to Build Commercial Aircraft Interiors and when ever they want to Boost the strength of something they would Add Layer a thin Sheet of Hard Carbon Fibre to it with Glue, Maybe if you Stick a Strip of that to the Underside of the Mount That will Beef it Up  by about 150 Times its Own Strength and it won't Happen Again. 

But If you Do, Make sure you wear Goggles and Gloves when you cut it With either Tin Snips or a Hack Saw Because if you get any splinters from it Your Body Can Not Reject Them Because of it's Purity, Once you have cut out the shape you want you can use A Sanding Block or A Bench Grinder to Trim It Up as Needed,

Hope This Helps,,  John

I do see a week spot on both the GPZ and CTX housing.

Falling over forwards or dropped just right, where the head hits first.

It's a inherent design compromise when mounting a screen with HMI controls on the handle.

The head, may snap off at its connection to the handle.

This happened in a fall while climbing out of a steep with my lightweight xTerra, I sat down but let the detector go cartwheeling.  

post-168-0-29649200-1435262951_thumb.jpg

• Like 1