Whites TDI Information

Well a good while back I finally decided and purchased a Whites TDI SL

As always, each new machine has to pass through my test garden.

Did some detailed work in my test garden yesterday using the TDI Sl. First results are very promising. Settings were, pulse delay 10, ground balance 7 ½, gain max threshold just audible.
I have a copper rivet buried at 7” about the size of the end of a pencil eraser a 6 ½” quarter, dime, nickel and penny along with each at 4 ½” deep in a different part of the test bed. In addition to these I purposely left nails where they were when I planted the garden over 7 years ago. Please keep in mind these were the depths when I put them in the ground, so the exact depth is not known after 7 years.
Starting off in high conductor mode each (except the nickels) gave a very good, smooth audio in every direction except the nails which gave a completely different sound, very much different. Keep in mind I’m still in a steep learning curve, by no means close to experienced but having a fantastic time on my journey.
After listening to the differences between the coins and nails I reduced the gain to about half and listen to each target again. I continued reducing the gain little by little until the deep coins and rivet ceased giving a audio response and that was about gain 3 ½. Raising the gain back to 4 and the coins gave a very faint, low volume tone.
Wanting to play a little I raised the pulse rate, re-ground balanced and checked each target with a gain setting of 6. The biggest difference came when the pulse rate was set above 20. The coins still gave a good audio, but the rivet, which is very small compared to the coins, became difficult to hear, very statically, extremely low in volume. All in all I had a very enjoyable evening, very educational.

Mark Gillespie

• Like 2

I use a TDI also at times,they are very capable of finding deep targets,fun to run too. Mine found me a nice little patch of gold last year that no other machines were able to see aparently, just a little out of reach for some of the other machines that had been over it.