Gold Hound On Noisy Detectors

Gold Hound posted something at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1067-loving-the-zed/?p=11514 that really made me perk up:

Bogene's settings are not for me.

I have my own ideas, I care not about chattery emi noise or a fair bit of ground noise, in fact I like a fair bit of ground noise to tell me whats going on with mineralization under the coil I set mine for deep and small target sensitivity.

I like a lot of noise coming back at me, most could not tolerate their detector as noisy as I run mine. But noise is like music to my ears, my gain has hardly ever had to go below 20. You'll hear how noisy it is in the vid.

I've found that understanding the Ground Balance is critical with the Zed. I have found that fixed is very useful when you know when and how to best apply it.

I've found that the most important thing in all metal-detecting is swing speed/hand eye to ear co-ordination. Most operators never fully master this skill. Once you truly master this skill ground noise or emi doesn't bother you much any more, even if its louder than the target response as the target noise frequency is greatly different to the emi or ground noise to a trained ear, and the target response frequency is directly relative to your swing speed.

The swing speed can be varied greatly and used to ID a target from a strong concentrated ground noise.

That is how I detect! Though my gain stays closer to 12. I also run my volume levels fairly low so the sounds are more a background sound than loud noises. But real targets just jump out to my ear. I wonder how many people are having fits over the GPZ 7000 and what they see as noise that makes it unuseable, and how many there are like me and Gold Hound who are experiencing the same thing and asking ourselves "what's your point"?

• Like 4

Steve,

I would say the point is..... that most are not tuned in to their detectors as much as you two are.... and the some of us haven't discerned the language of, "nuggets within the noise"----

I remember making a post in 2010 about the 2200v---- I was having a hard time with it---the noise was just too much for me---until one day down in Greaterville I hit two good targets and something in my brain clicked------then it was like a symphony

Somewhat like facial recognition software---

Or the way your brain can adjust to finding arrowheads in an open field---after you have found a few, they just "jump out at you" -------- you don't even notice you are looking for them...

So I suppose that would correlate with how you and GH can pick out the----- "single tree' in the forest.... per se..

Personally, I started with a detector that was a silent runner--a long time ago--Micronta 19.99 RadioShack-----(or at least that is the way I ran it--no beep no dig)

I never knew the threshold  and the noise deal until I got my first Minelab---- so as bad as I want them to be quiet and sound off only on targets----I know that would mean a loss of a lot of info about the ground I am hunting.

I am still waiting on the detector that in it's most sexy woman's voice speaks to me, "

"Hello Paul.... good hunting with you today!!!

You may want to go ahead and dig this target--I think you may be happy you did.-----

BTW, It is 10 inches deep and appears to have quartz attached-----

Until our next target." Good day...

:D 

• Like 6

I can say without any doubt every detector I`ve had have been winners and got the goods the GPZ is another, there really is no mystery, nor any magic formula just persistence, but the GPZ stands out in one way it is easy machine to use straight out of its box, in my relatively low mineralised country. I look at reviews on the net, at discussions on forums, and only feel anyone who claims the GPZ is a difficult beast is pushing their own barrow. This is my view and one I`ve held since I unboxed my GPZ, it has come up with the goods constantly in thrashed country and new. Read and follow the manual listen to the "static" out there but don`t necessarily follow. My point is simply, use it. KISS.

• Like 3

Gold Hound said:

I've found that the most important thing in all metal-detecting is swing speed/hand eye to ear co-ordination. Most operators never fully master this skill. Once you truly master this skill ground noise or emi doesn't bother you much any more, even if its louder than the target response as the target noise frequency is greatly different to the emi or ground noise to a trained ear, and the target response frequency is directly relative to your swing speed.

The swing speed can be varied greatly and used to ID a target from a strong concentrated ground noise.

Steve said:

That is how I detect! Though my gain stays closer to 12. I also run my volume levels fairly low so the sounds are more a background sound than loud noises. But real targets just jump out to my ear. I wonder how many people are having fits over the GPZ 7000 and what they see as noise that makes it unuseable, and how many there are like me and Gold Hound who are experiencing the same thing and asking ourselves "what's your point"?

I think the problem many of us older blokes have is that our hearing is just not good enough. I understand exactly what Goldhound and you, Steve, are saying, and as usual it makes a lot of sense. However if I run my 7000 too noisy the targets don't "jump out" at all but are mixed up in the noise and barely noticeable because the target frequencies involved are beyond my hearing range. Because of the poor response of my ears to the higher frequencies I have to rely on the target amplitude variations which is obviously less than ideal, but the reason why I keep going to High Audio Smoothing on the 7000, or winding back the Stabilizer on the 5000.

What I would like is something like the BZ booster with a facility to crank up the higher frequency response in particular to compensate for this hearing loss. Some sort of mini synthesizer that could be adjusted to have a "reverse" response to that of one's hearing would be ideal, but even just a simple  "treble" control would be probably help.

I've always said when it comes to detecting it's your listening that counts- not your hearing. My high audio smoothing/ high sensitivity hypothesis has now developed into well grounded theory. I just haven't gotten over a large deep nugget to verify if there is a significant loss of depth but I am still finding bits of broken square nails surprisingly deep.

My hearing also "sucks" but that is caused by a vacuum between my ears.

• Like 1

I don't own a 7000, so don't know how it responds in relationship to coil swing speed.  But it seems with my 4500 and definately the Gold Bug 2, I can't swing slow enough.  And of course, as Gerry M. says get as low as you possible can.  If I have the threshold on both machines at just about the annoyance level, the very faint signals can be heard with my declining hearing.

So does the 7000 do better with slow swings and higher thresholds?  I'm still interested in this new technology.

I don't own a 7000, so don't know how it responds in relationship to coil swing speed.  But it seems with my 4500 and definately the Gold Bug 2, I can't swing slow enough.  And of course, as Gerry M. says get as low as you possible can.  If I have the threshold on both machines at just about the annoyance level, the very faint signals can be heard with my declining hearing.

So does the 7000 do better with slow swings and higher thresholds?  I'm still interested in this new technology.

I believe slower swings, no doubt, but higher thresholds, would have said for sure before I tried Bogenes. That I guess is the genius of the GPZ, is simple enough to operate for the starter and adjustable for the pros. My son does very well following me however, he`s much more capable and attuned, which pisses me off somewhat.

Klunker same here, I wear glasses to hold my ears apart. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I purchased some new headphones and ear buds for my detectors. the headphones I selected were the black widow model and the improvement over the stock minelab koss phones is night and day for me. The sound quality is very crisp and clear and not that I'm able to reliably understand yet what the detector sounds are telling me, I can distinguish a much wider range of tones with the black widow headphones over the stock issue koss, the sound quality is much improved on both my whites and the minelab detectors. The black widow headphones also exclude most outside noise if you like that. The ear buds are Bose sport phones and they also work very well with the gpz and are great when the air temps are very warm and they're  still very good sound quality although well below the black widow brand headphones. The whites sst has no independent volume control so the bose ear buds are a poor choice for this detector and the sound quality with the whites sst and bose ear buds is best described as uncomfortable.

This is my second set of bose ear buds, last month I dropped a pair of green bose sport ear buds somewhere in the n nevada desert out of the back of my rig, something nice for someone to find, if you find em before the sun ruins them enjoy.