Out In The Heat: Nevada Gold With The GPZ And SDC

I just got back yesterday afternoon from a three day trip out to the gold fields of Northern Nevada. It was warm, but not too bad for the first 2 days (around 90) but it warmed up into the mid 90s on the third day and it is supposed to be above 100 for the next few days (So I am glad to be home in the air conditioning). Steve was out there with me for the majority of the trip.

Neither of us got over any gold at all on the last day, but I had good luck the first two days. I got 13 nuggets for a total of 10.9 grams, or just a bit more than 7 pennyweight. No serious patches, sometimes it just seems like the gold out there has just been scattered randomly over a wide area. The largest nugget looks water worn, but the rest are jagged and have not traveled far.

The GPZ and SDC both worked fine out there. I used the SDC in a trashy area where I was able to pinpoint and remove a zillion little pieces of steel window screen that had been blown around the area by the wind. For me, its just faster to pinpoint those little trash bits and remove them with the SDC. Next time out I will have a magnetized rake and use that to pre-treat the area for surface iron. In the less trashy areas where the depth and greater coverage was helpful, I used the GPZ.

post-5-0-39971700-1435281985_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Good report Chris, thankyou for sharing your most recent experience in that area. I like that you describe what you encountered and what you plan to do to enhance your success in future visits. Congratulations on some very nice gold, we always enjoy your instructive reports from the field.  :)

Jim.

I'll be different and just say Nice Buffalo Nickle Chris! keep up the informative posts which good for newbies like myself. 

strick

Chris,

really appreciate your reports and comments, the help you freely give is invaluable, I know id be (more) lost without it...can't wait to hear about the next hunt.