New Member From Arizona

Hey everyone,

Been stopping by the forum for some time, and now that the heat has chased me off my usual spot, I have some time to say hello:) I am new to detecting, mainly sluice in the past and now dry washing/detecting.  I have yet to actually find any gold detecting, but I have been working some hard worked sites.  I have detected the Weaver claims, GPAA claims in Black Canyon and Mayer without luck.  The dry washer on the other hand has been successful everywhere I set it up.  Not huge quantities mind you, but some color every time.  

I haven't given up on the detector yet.  I am running a SDC2300 (fits my level of experience and love the compact size).  What I have been impressed with is just how small and deep it picks up metal.  I am sure this is nothing new for you folks, but I am talking about tiny metal shavings 6" deep and small 22 casings up to a foot down.  I know this guy is touted as a small/shallow gold detector, but it truly does seam to find more than expected and advertised.  I am running it on the stock setting with the Rattler headphone.  The minelab headphone set kept falling off my head and the ear piece connector came apart on the second trip so I purchased the adapter and moved on.  The other thing that impresses me is how it completely ignores hot rocks.  I had first tried a friends Lobo up a weaver and I was loosing all kinds of time kicking around hot rocks about every four feet of travel.  

I am looking for cooler places to detect now that summer is upon us with a vengeance.  There are not many GPAA claims in the higher elevations of Arizona.  

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. You will learn a lot here about your 2300.

I have a 2300 as well and love it. I have been finding gold with it just about every outing.It's just a matter of getting your coil over gold. If you are having success at dry washing then you will soon be successful with your 2300. Hunt the shallow bed rock gulches that look good for dry washing. GPAA has a claim up in Dewey-Humbolt area called "Soldier Boy". Check that out. Slightly cooler than the lower desert.

Good luck!

Dean

I'm from Arizona too and I also own an SDC and GPZ. I usually take a break detecting around this time of year between the heat and rain. If you really gotta get out Greaterville will be a little cooler compared to the desert areas but not by much.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I use to own a 2300....found a small piece of iron in a Victoria Goldfield well over a foot down....I was initially surprised by how deep  I was digging.......and then of course disappointed as the initial target was so mellow....thought for sure it was gold....((

Tortuga,

Is there a placer gold mine a few miles north of Greaterville,Az ? If you look on Google Earth you will see a large reddish/brown area with heavy equipment parked close by and what looks like scraped areas in the desert. Can't tell what they are doing there?

GPS 31 deg 50 min 04.69 sec N, 110 deg 45 min 19.68 sec W, elevation 5200 feet

15 hours ago, NuggetWill said:

I use to own a 2300....found a small piece of iron in a Victoria Goldfield well over a foot down....I was initially surprised by how deep  I was digging.......and then of course disappointed as the initial target was so mellow....thought for sure it was gold....((

Hej nugetWill

if you could detect a small piece of metal foot deep with 2300 thats the best detector ever made.

I wish u kept it. I know i would.

GoldEN

Hi Iscavezmisc

its only a matter of time you get a piece of gold and many after that.

Just play around proven gold fields- places where u find gold all the time sluicing.Places of old goldfield diggers.

Bedrocks, surfaced area etc.you will get gold with this detector  for sure.

Good luck with it.

GoldEN

"Hej nugetWill

if you could detect a small piece of metal foot deep with 2300 thats the best detector ever made.

I wish u kept it. I know i would."

I was living in Australia at the time. Sold my 2300 and 5000 before leaving Aussieland. Purchased a 7000 here for Arizona. I've told that 2300 story to a number of operators who I believe,  deep down,  dispute my story, but it's true.....the other side of the coin is that I never found more than a 10  gram piece of gold with the 2300, although I did find many pieces...)) As folks will tell you on this site an others, ground mineralization, orientation of the target, settings and a slew of other variables play into finding targets....