More space would be good but if you ever had that detector stolen you would lose it all (but still agree more space is better). I dumped my data to XChange every couple days. Once copied from the GPZ you can delete all the data or portions of the data on the GPZ from XChange with a single command. If you do it from the GPZ it is manually one at a time unless you do a Reset Geostore.

You do not have to be online and logged in to move data from the detector to XChange. The only reason to be online or logged in is to see the data overlaid on Google Maps. I used XChange while in the middle of nowhere and no internet to dump data for storage. If doing this you have to manually keep a list of what each track name means as far as general location or wait until you have an Internet connection to map it. This is one reason why an export function is so critically needed. We need to be able to export to other programs that have offline mapping capability, or XChange needs a redesign to work with downloaded maps. Export would be far preferred by everyone with existing data from other sources and working systems already in place.

post-1-0-09150700-1436197983_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've been using the GPS map/Geohunt feature of the 7000 for about 4 days detecting  now, I liked it to begin with, but with only 100 find points and 10 Geo trails and its full, I filled the find points all 100 of them in less than 4 days and everytime you want to turn the detector off you have to save the Geotrail or it gets lost without warning, so 10 trails don't take long to fill up.

So if you turn off the machine at lunch time then want to resume afterwards, you're starting another Geo trail and have now used up 2 of the 10?

I don't own a GPZ, but do have a Garmin Dakota with the private property chip to make sure I am on property I should be detecting.  By setting the GPS to tracking I could follow my every footstep and know whether I have painted the "patch" completely.  I haven't done this yet, but can see that this would be a great way to know that every square foot of the "patch" gets covered.  The white areas that were missed would stand out and were probably covered by brush, or we subconciously just avoided an area cause it doesn't look right, etc.

I assume the gps in the 7000 can do this too and would, I think, be a great tool for just this purpose. I don't really see a security issue unless the unit gets stolen and the past information wasn't wiped.  

• Like 1

So if you turn off the machine at lunch time then want to resume afterwards, you're starting another Geo trail and have now used up 2 of the 10?

No, there is not a limit on number of tracks, there is a limit on total memory used by way GPS data stored.

For security, I think the best approach would probably be to keep the GPS data encrypted on the machine but then allow exports through common file formats. It would require a password or similar to access the GPS when you boot the machine up or attempt to export.

That would prevent any information from being accessed if the machine was stolen, also prevent people from seeing your data if you sell or lend the machine and forget to wipe it first. It would also enable you to store all your data without worry and not just a very small slice of it which is kind of useless.

Of course then there might be complaints about the extra step of needing to enter a password, but this scheme is quite common for work and industry computers with sensitive data, and the GPZ is after all a work tool to many of us, and certainly being marketed/priced that way by Minelab. Even with my cell phone a random person can't just open it and start using it so I think it'd be a reasonable approach.

i left all my rye patch find points on my gpz when I sent it back in for repair, all one of them... hope it helps someone out.

I feel it would be nice to be able to transfer to all OS platforms. At the moment I don't have a Pc. I use a chromebook, tablet and smartphone. All android. So in the field the smallest, lightest weight possible, the better. Heck, they make a android app for my Minelab GO-FIND. I can transfer from my Go-pro camera to my smartphone. Then I might be able to use the data.

• Like 2

Brogan,

I was flying thru this thread since I don't own a ZED until I saw your post on the Private property chip for a Garmin GPS? Can you tell us more or send me a PM about it? Which Garmins will it work for ? Will it work on a home PC too? Which Garmins have this tracking feature? I thought they only had waypoints to mark? I am kind of a greenhorn on GPS features so bear with me. Where does one see/buy these chips in person?

Thanks.

-Tom V.