Why Can't I Get A Ferrite Ring For My GPZ 7000?

Nice one Scott.

Years ago I worked in Saudi Arabia with a wonderful old fellow named (according to his UK passport) "Professor Sebastian Hutton". After his stint in the Royal Tank Corps in Normandy and beyond in WW II, He got a scholarship to Oxford and majored in English. Tolkien was his tutor.

Over glasses of homemade beer in our (highly illegal) housing compound pub he told me all about rings, their relation to the earth (Middle and otherwise) and their relation to gold.

I wish I could tell you all about that but two things prohibit it. First, dear Sebastian's ghost would haunt me for the rest of my life and second, my investment in Codan shares would be wiped out.

Oh well, that's the way it with secret formulas, mad ferrets and magic spells. I do miss dear Sebastian a lot however RIP.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On July 31, 2015 at 3:46 PM, Sourdough Scott said:

I've been trying for a while to get one from my dealer.I called minelab myself. They are backordered. 

For as good as your detectors are. Other little things you really SUCK at. WTF Minelab. Get me a ferrite ring and make me happy.

You spend 10 K on a detector, but can't get a 10 dollar ring. 

The subject of the ferrite ring and ground balancing has come up again. I have one but thought I'd buy a back up just in case...can't find one anywhere...checked  E bay, Amazon, Rob Allison's and Gerry's sites.  Do a search for it on Minelab's web site can't find it there either this should not be so hard to buy....what a joke. Is the minelab ferrite ring any different then just any old ferrite ring?  

strick 

9 hours ago, strick said:

Is the minelab ferrite ring any different then just any old ferrite ring?  

From the Minelab Knowledge Base Article at http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/274444/KBA_26-1%20GPZ%207000%20Tips%20for%20Better%20Ground%20Balance.pdf

"A ‘dust iron’ toroid suitable for the HF frequency band (e.g.1–30MHz with an initial permeability of between 6 and 10) has been carefully selected. It is recommended to use this specific Minelab accessory, only. Alternate ferrites may significantly degrade ground balance quality."

You can get the ferrite ring at the link provided by Hawkeye above. Timely, as I just had a discussion with Minelab about the difficulty in finding misc parts. Since all GPZ detectors have been supplied with this part as a standard item for some time dealers probably get no demand for them.

• Like 2

Finders Keepers in Kalgoorie keeps them in stock. https://www.finderskeepersgold.com/product-category/gpz/

Matt, the owner, will ship to the USA.

• Like 1