Why Can't I Get A Ferrite Ring For My GPZ 7000?

I called my dealer the day the white paper was posted and also still do not have one of them rings as well. I thought when minelab sent the replacement detector a few weeks ago it would have one included, but no. I am also guessing they are still back-ordered, or not so much of a priority for minelab outside of the homeland. luckily, haven't really needed it, just sorta nice to have one to wear around if I get the urge.

• Like 1

Chris, you are no doubt correct, the ring may not be needed in most areas of the USA. However, that is not the point. They made the ring, it may be needed in some areas and if you don't have one it sure as hell can't help. Minelab needs to "do the right thing" as a fine Australian gentleman told me is the proper Aussie Way.

fred

• Like 1

I know when i called Chris at AZO i got the ferrite rings for myself and my brother very quickly,he like Rob had the rings early and sent them out 2 day mail.

I can't seem to get one either. The dealer I bought my machine from said he was mailing them out 5 weeks ago, didn't get one so I contacted Minelab and they said they don't have any to send out. Not even sure if I need this thing, but Minelab seems to think I do so not sure why some people aren't getting one.

• Like 1

Fred - My point was not that Mine lab has no need to send the ring to those who have purchased a 7000, and I agree with you that it should be done. I'm just saying that no one should feel like their machine is not working properly because they don't have a ring. Ring or not, the 7000 is a fantastic machine and I have not seen a ground balance problem with it other than the groan in salty ground. No one should feel like their machine is some how limited if they don't yet have a ferrite ring. You can test the ring and see if it makes any noticeable difference for you. In fact I am very interested to hear if prospectors think that it makes a significant difference once they have the rings in hand and have tested them here in the USA.

• Like 2

Fred - My point was not that Mine lab has no need to send the ring to those who have purchased a 7000, and I agree with you that it should be done. I'm just saying that no one should feel like their machine is not working properly because they don't have a ring. Ring or not, the 7000 is a fantastic machine and I have not seen a ground balance problem with it other than the groan in salty ground. No one should feel like their machine is some how limited if they don't yet have a ferrite ring. You can test the ring and see if it makes any noticeable difference for you. In fact I am very interested to hear if prospectors think that it makes a significant difference once they have the rings in hand and have tested them here in the USA.

I was also kind of wondering just how big a difference the ring would make when used in the western united states, the ring is targeted as I understand for a very specific mineral content as found in a limited geologic reagin and as such seems counterintuitive if used in soil conditions of a different composition? If there is a need for something like this worldwide (and I'm not saying there is by any means) shouldn't it be formulated to match the targeted mineral content and then, this is really something IMO the detector does very well already without any outside interference by the operator. I just want one to hang on a string and wear it around my neck as a token to the Zed gods as I'm about wondering the hillsides, ferret ring warding off evil spirits...

• Like 1

I see your point, Chris. I also completely agree with you. The 7000 is a fantastic machine in all four of the places I have used it. I am eager to get back to those places now that I have a little more time with the GPZ...practice makes perfect.

btw;you should see my wall project...it has proven that i am only half the man I used to be....50 pounds is as heavy as 100 once was; Or as light-HAHA

fred

Why not ask Minelab to provide the specs of the ferrite ring so people wanting one can purchase their own from a third party?  Providing something as simple as it is a soft ferrite material and the typical number of that ferrite or it is a powdered iron material would help those wanting to get their own.

Reg

• Like 1

I emailed Minelab and asked about ferrite material specs for potential 3rd party purchase, this is their response:

"Minelab does not recommend using any aftermarkets items on any of its products.

Thanks again for your inquiry, we look forward to servicing you soon."

A bit confusing really considering I already had to buy 3rd party coil covers, detector covers, and a screen cover (which didn't work because the screen was already scratched due to not having one when it was new) because ML didn't provide them or make them available and in the case of the detector/screen covers they are still not available today.

This is one of the most expensive consumer detectors in the world, and expectation of service and quality is inferred and I'm starting to get the feeling ML has ignored that part. If I purchase the penthouse suite at the Hilton I don't expect to have to furnish my own towels and TV. Even Motel 6 understands that for 1/10th the price.

I get its a cheap ferrite of potentially dubious usage. But that isn't the point. For me, it's the continuing pattern that is frustrating.

Jasong, you make some really good points and minelabs response sounds like it is painted with a very broad brush. Obvious too Minelab I would believe if they had not wasted your time with some caned reply. I'm a bit confused really by the mistakes on something as simple as the ring when my other customer service experience was so good. Did you call minelab America and talk to Nadia?