Alaska Nugget

So I went on this trip to Nome, Alaska.  I was told there was a lot of trash there but I also expected big gold.  I took discrimination, PI and Zed.

We sluiced, high banked and metal detected for about a week in and out of the rain.  One day we went fishing for pinks and chum salmon.

It was a fun trip.

I got this 11g/5g specimen from a pushed patch about 1 ft down with my Zed.  I wanted more but I didn't get skunked.  Some others there found some larger gold and others did get skunked.

I hope to get better light on this in another picture but I need to get it posted.

Mitchel

post-628-0-47745000-1438485519_thumb.jpg

post-628-0-60266800-1438485620_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks for your replies.

I'm ready for some extended nugget hunting when it gets cooler.

Steve,

There was a 17 gram nugget found.  I think another one about 10 grams just after I left.

If I was to go back again I would have a better chance of larger gold I think but I didn't see any huge gold but there was considerable quantity in the history of the place.  I heard some big stories.

There was a party one night when the Bering Sea guys were there and Steve Pomrenke said he had plowed a road a few years back and the first guy to check it with a metal detector found a 13 ounce nugget.  A couple of years back there were some hunters who found over 25 ounces in a couple of weeks.

(Every time I said hunting they thought I was going out with a gun!  I should have said detecting.)

I didn't hit any patches like that.  There were some GBII patches but I don't have one of those ... yet.

Mitchel

• Like 1