Good Start To August...

My buddy and I have been looking at a promising spot on Google Earth for the past few weeks so we decided to give it a go this weekend. We started early on Saturday morning and had to wait out the rain for a while as we gazed down this monstrous canyon that didn't look that monstrous on Google Earth. No shrinkage here. We did "the hike" which turned in to a death march and didn't even turn our detectors on :(. After braving the heat and being tired and hungry from our "hike" we decided to go re-visit an old area that always gives up a dink or two so that our effort wasn't a total bust. We both scored three for the afternoon. My buddy had visited another nearby spot on Friday afternoon after he got done with work and he scored three there as well.

The only positive that came from "the hike" was that we spied some other good looking country (not in the bottom of a huge canyon)and decided to go there and check it out this morning. Now, lesser (smarter) men would have stayed home and got a massage after "the hike" but not us. And it's a good thing that we are not that smart.

In just a few hours this morning I scored fourteen and my buddy another three! So, our weekend total was twenty six. I swung my SDC and he his GPX5000 with a "Sadie" coil. Fun in the Arizona sun. Here are some pics of my take...

post-702-0-79362900-1438557771_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-49443600-1438557828_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-88068100-1438557864_thumb.jpg

My buddy did a careful excavation of this one. It shows just how stuck they can become in the bedrock. Good luck.

Dean

• Like 5

Props for hiking in the Arizona summer heat man...that can be brutal. Nice haul!

Thanks Guys.

Tortuga- I like those pics too. It amazes me where gold winds up and how it got there. I am not nearly the careful excavator that my buddy is. He carries a nifty little pack of micro-picks that are like dental tools. They really come in handy when trying to coax a flat little flake out of a crack. He gave me one of them and it works great. I tend to use my big pick first and ask questions later. I am learning, by his example, to use the little tools and expose the nuggets "in situ" just because it's cool to see how the nugget was placed by nature.

Dean

If I'm working around bedrock I carry a paintbrush with me. Really helps to sweep sand and dirt out of the little cracks. Then once I spy a nugget I'll just grab a little twig and work on prying it out. Love seeing that flash of gold down in the dirt!