At Long last I got some proper Prospecting Picks From back Home in OZ, I have had A Devil of a time trying to get them, In the End A Mate who Makes them sent me 2 and He Has Done a brilliant Job First Rate High Class Picks Thanks to Him I am Almost ready, I took one to the hardware Store and each one I went in Asked what they were, So its no Wonder I had Such a Bugger of a Job Getting them, I Bought A Pick Axe Handle and shaped it to Fit the Pick and then I cut the fat end off, Then I bought some of that Gorilla Glue, My mate said use PVA but I wanted something a bit more Bullet proof, with that Gorilla Glue it tells you to make the Items to be Glued WET/Damp so I did the Handle and in the Steel Cup to, Then I coated the Handle in the Glue and inside the Tube of the Pick then I poured some into that Tube and Pushed the Handle In and gave it a few Wollops with My Hammer and then I wiped off the excess and left it for about 20 minutes, When I went back to it the Glue had expanded  Like the expanding Foam, Man that is some Crazy stuff, within 2 hours it was very Hard so I cleaned it up and Put A Screw in the side just to make sure, So Hopefully it will stay put, but it is Tight enough without the Glue or the screw and I spent about 2 hours shaping it to get it right, so if it does come Loose I will stick it in a Tub of water over night and make it swell back up, so All is Good, 

John

post-181-0-70141600-1438650329_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-90616900-1438650386_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Really nice looking pick!!

Yeah, I decided to use the one on the left first Because I like the Flat edge of the Blade for when you are raking out the spoil and I think the Handle will Last quite A while because it is made out of English Beech and It is Extremely Hard and won't flex,  

John

I'll have to try the Gorilla Glue thing. I build my own picks but I put the handle hole clear through the head and us wedges to hold the handle.

many times I have desperately searched for a square nail to tighten up the head and couldn't find one when I normally find them by the hundreds. Funny how that works.

• Like 1

I'll have to try the Gorilla Glue thing. I build my own picks but I put the handle hole clear through the head and us wedges to hold the handle.

many times I have desperately searched for a square nail to tighten up the head and couldn't find one when I normally find them by the hundreds. Funny how that works.

Its Good Stuff, But keep your cloths well clear of it and wear gloves coz it don't come off, It behaves like that expanding foam in Glue form and Dries hard in A few hours and the next day its Rock hard and its 100%  waterproof according to the Label, it Sticks wood Iron/steel and Masonry/Bricks,., Just don't make a mess with it in the House coz the Cook will Have you're Hide, When you first Glue it wipe of any excess asap with a Wet Cloth Not Tissue Paper,

John

I gorilla glued the little foot on the Zed . Great stuff. But wear disposable gloves if you don't mind having your hands stained from the glue for a few days. I've used the glue for over ten years now.

I bet it wont break where the Glue Is Again, Actually I just had A Brain Wave??

What about Painting the Stand with A few Coats of the Glue, That might Beef it up A bit and prevent it from Cracking  even if it has not Cracked Before Just As A Precaution, ??

JOhn

They make some amazing epoxies and such, I used some stuff from west marine on one of my bigger mistakes. I bought this old boat for $300.00 (anyone who has made this mistake knows that you have to add a couple of 00's to the price you pay if you plan to get it in the water) anyway, the wood in old boats as most of you know changes a little over time... the transom in this one turned out to be filled with wood chips and dust. I filled it with this this liquid epoxy and damned if it wasn't stronger than new just by drilling a few holes and squirting two or three paychecks worth of this stuff into the rotten wood. amazing... finally gave the boat to my mechanic and bought a decent one, but oh what a lesson.

• Like 2