Reintroduction Of The Minelab GPX 4500

The reintroduction of the Minelab GPX 4500 with two coils for only $2699 has in my opinion shook up the price/performance question. Up to now I would have considered the GPX 5000 to be the default "safe choice" for anyone wanting to get into serious nugget detecting with a proven machine. However, there is not a lot of difference between a GPX 4500 and GPX 5000. It really boils down to the Fine Gold timing which the GPX 5000 has and the GPX 4500 lacks. That timing is very good at handling certain very hot ground and extreme hot rocks while still getting a majority of the gold. However, the timing is not perfect and it does miss nuggets or exhibit "holes" in its ability to find nuggets and therefore should only be used in ground that requires its special ability to ignore hot rocks. Too many people rely on it as an "everywhere, all the time" mode.

Most ground in the United States does not require the Fine Gold timing. With the GPX 5000 at $5795 with 11" round DD and 11" round mono and the GPX 4500 currently at $2699 with 11" round DD and 15" x 12" mono coils I am hard pressed to say the GPX 5000 is worth $3000 more just to get the Fine Gold timing. Yes, there are other subtle differences but seriously that is what it sorts out as from a practical standpoint.

That being said I have added the GPX 4500 to my equipment roster at Minelab GPX 4500 Gold Nugget Detector and updated my Nugget Detector Review to reflect my opinion that at this time the Minelab GPX 4500 represents the best value for somebody new to high power pulse induction nugget detecting and wanting to get in on it without mortgaging the farm.

Now, this is based on MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) versus MAP price for each detector. Package deals can be had and may sway the equation somewhat back towards the GPX 5000 for overall value. But no matter what if buying new you are going to lay out a lot more money for a GPX 5000 than the GPX 4500 and it mostly comes down to how much you think that Fine Gold timing is worth to you.

Minelab GPX 4500 Color Brochure

minelab-gpx-4500-pulse-induction-pi-gold

• Like 2

Relic hunters like the bunch who attend Digging in Virginia" will benefit from this since ultimate depth in hot VA soil is their major interest.

I take it that when you say reintroduction, you mean that the 4500 will stay in the lineup and that this is not just the disposal of excess inventory. Good news for prospectors.

On 8/8/2015 at 7:50 PM, Rick Kempf said:

Relic hunters like the bunch who attend Digging in Virginia" will benefit from this since ultimate depth in hot VA soil is their major interest.

I take it that when you say reintroduction, you mean that the 4500 will stay in the lineup and that this is not just the disposal of excess inventory. Good news for prospectors.

Unfortunately all I am saying is it is again being sold by dealers in the U.S. and elsewhere at this time. What the reasons are and how long it will last I have no idea. The official Minelab page at http://www.minelab.com/emea/products/gold-mining/detectors/gpx-4500 still says " Please note this product is not available in Australia or USA."

Minelab really can use a PI detector at this price point. It is more than the TDI and ATX but not so much more as to make it unreasonable to those considering those detectors. As much as I like my ATX it is a given to me that a prospector would be better off scraping up the extra $500 to get a GPX 4500 with two coils.

If this is a temporary clearing of stock then I will have to again change my pages to keep up with the times!

I got a PM reminding me that perhaps I was oversimplifying things in my original post. I mention the Fine Gold timing and "other subtle differences". Here is the PM (don't be afraid to post folks):

"Just thought I would bring up that there are 3 timings that you get with the 5000 that are not on the 4500. Fine gold,salt gold and coin relic. I would also like to add that the ground balance is better on the the 5000 and it handles the EMI much better. The enhanced timing seems to work better on the 5000 also might be because of the detectors ability to ground balance better."

These differences were actually covered in an older thread on the forum at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/144-minelab-gpx-4800-vs-gpx-5000/ so that is worth a look also.

A matter of perspective I suppose as to what differences are important or not to an individual. But no doubt my original post was thin on details.

• Like 1

I Ordered one the Price was good for our standards @ only £2500.00, But I decided Not to go with it because I need that Relic Mode, I loved my GP 3500 but it did punish me on more than one occasion, If I had access to Desert Gold then it would be A Done Deal, But not to worry, They Are still A Fantastic Machine,

John