New GPX Owner In Alaska

Bin lurking for a while and based on some of the info floating around like this thread http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1151-reintroduction-of-the-minelab-gpx-4500/, I bit on a used 4500. Will be using in Alaska so wondering if the mono coils will generally be what a person would be using. Comes with one double D and 6 mono's.

Glad I can put the Zed out of my mind for a while.:)

Appreciate all the experience that's being shared around here. Has saved a lot of miles.

post-818-0-19603500-1439155724_thumb.jpg

Hey Babeinthewoods,

I will let Steve give you the best advice as he probably has the most experience here in Alaska metal detecting with a PI. 

Here are some of my thoughts on places I visit in Alaska.  Many of the "pay-to-mine" locations are based on old bucket/dragline dredge operations.  You're working a lot of oversized tailings from material that went through the sluices to oversized cobbles that got screened off.  In some of these locations there are "Volcanics" rocks that can cause hell on even a good PI.  In these locations I preferred using a DD or DD Pro to help eliminate or null out some of these volcanic hot rocks.  Other places might just have hot ground mineralization or hot bedrock like Serpentine.  

The DD's also allow you to have some "discrimination" in very trashy areas like these piles.  Keep in mind all the rubbish got tossed in them, nails, wire, bolts and ....

If the ground mineralization is low to moderate and has minimal trash, you might benefit from a Monoloop.  A Mono will give you better pinpointing, more depth and sensitivity overall.  

I would also always recommend taking two items for backup.  This would include headphones, power cords, batteries, handle and searchcoils.  If you break an important part of your detector in the bush, you might be out for the entire trip.  Many even take a backup detector like a smaller VLF. 

Just some thoughts before heading to Alaska.  Wishing you much success!!

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch. I live on Alaska so won't be traveling to far but most info still applies. Have a couple of vlf detectors, one is a gold bug pro that will probably be using as a pin-pointer and backup. First place we have in mind should have very little trash but not sure about the hot rock situation. Vlf machines were able to operate with only running into occasional hot rocks.

Was interesting to read about the use of big mono loops on tailing piles. Possibly a indicator that we will beable to get away with the monos but will have DD on hand for sure. Very impressed with the depth of pi machines as shown on YouTube . Haven't used one yet. Going to be checking out some virgin ground behind some receding glaciers as one project . Figured if going to put in the effort to get there it wouldn't seem right not to have a good pi machine. Will be practicing ahead of time. :)

Thanks again

Looks like the typical very low mineral, very low trash virgin ground scenario in Alaska. The gold is likely to be small unfortunately so I would recommend small mono coils running in Sensitive Extra at as high a gain as allows for stable operation. Be alert for faint signals. The Gold Bug Pro may work as well or better in that location. Good luck, and thanks for posting the photos. Been awhile since I had a view out the windshield like that!

• Like 1

Thanks. I've bin scrambling the last few days responding to a call to run a boat in Prince William. Leaving at 4am headed for Whittier tunnel. Might take Gold Bug.

The glacier trip involves some (supposed) inside information that makes it a particulary interesting destination. And now I have to wait until this boat trip is over but it is my "day job" that allows me to do the other stuff.