Gold Bug 2 14" Coil Performance

G'day,
I'm sure a lot will read this post and' should be able to give me some idea but... What is the performance of the GB2's 14" coil over moderate soil? And how does it perform in iron Disc if the ground was producing a lot of noise?

Iv done the good old Google search and it seems that no one uses this coil, does it behave erratic or no one uses them....

Thanks in advanced.

G'day,

I'm sure a lot will read this post and' should be able to give me some idea but... What is the performance of the GB2's 14" coil over moderate soil? And how does it perform in iron Disc if the ground was producing a lot of noise?

Iv done the good old Google search and it seems that no one uses this coil, does it behave erratic or no one uses them....

Thanks in advanced.

Here ya Go Mate, Dave Johnson Designed the GB2, If you read here and down load his books and there is about 5 PDFs for you to down load he tells you how to set it up and what does what with it Ok and there is one on coils too,

Good Luck Mate, John

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/dave-johnson-essays.htm

• Like 1

I had success early on in 2001 at Ganes Creek, Alaska scanning the relatively mild tailing piles with the Gold Bug 2 and 14" coil. For several years after it was popular there before the White's MXT came along and stole the show. http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/metal-detecting-gold-ganes-creek-alaska.htm

jp010602.jpg

The unit runs just fine in milder to moderate ground, and the iron disc is great for eliminating not just trash targets but some hot rocks. I was not looking for small stuff so ran often with the disc turned on.

The large coil loses depth in hotter ground so really does not add depth so much as ground coverage. In really bad ground it sees too much soil and will actually perform less well than the smaller coils. Basically, it just all depends on the ground mineralization.

Steve with 4.95 ounce nugget found with GB2 14"

post-1-0-85634600-1439921248_thumb.jpg

Steve with 14 dwt nugget

post-1-0-04564000-1439921250_thumb.jpg

Another nugget

post-1-0-30985000-1439921251_thumb.jpg

Jeff Reed using Gold Bug 2 14" at Ganes Creek

post-1-0-28274200-1439921252_thumb.jpg

John Pulling with gold found at Ganes Creek

post-1-0-12930300-1439921253_thumb.jpg

Steve with "Bulldog Nugget"

post-1-0-89727300-1439921255_thumb.jpg

Steve with 3 ounce specimen

post-1-0-98125600-1439921254_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Come on guys we all knew Steve has used it' always good to get a few more photos out of him!

Strange enough I get more enjoyment taming a machine a lot give up on' and using said machine where others don't for whatever reason....

The way I see it Aussies go for the easiest option and don't care about costs involved, the area I bought the drywasher and gold bug 2 for is a central Australian desert region' it's known for mainly small gold and larger gold not very common.

The area does bombard you with many hot rocks but the actual ground is generally mild, The hot rock issue in my eyes is what attracts just minelab Pi's to the area' if said detectorist wasn't lazy and raked the hot rocks from the surface he would find that a PI gives no advantage over a VLF machine at all other than to give the impression that nothing will be missed.

Yes' the SDC does work out this way quite well but hardly the cost or challenge I'm looking for, but to me buying the SDC from the gold found with the GB2 is...

If I think of enough reasons to purchase a 14" coil it would probably be used mainly in disc mode for patch hunting as I don't plan to take the PI with me' for the first 2 months anyway.

Thanks John & Steve' more reading material is always good

Gold found in the area with the GMT

post-791-0-60827500-1439938456_thumb.jpg

What the ground looks like

post-791-0-00733100-1439938628_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So... Out of nearly 250 views no one else has any experience with this 14" but Steve?

With the 14" coil in Iron Disc mode whats the smallest nugget one would expect A reliable hit on?

Come on guys' this is one of the most popular detectors of all time and no ones spent any time with the larger coil just to see how it performs?

So... Out of nearly 250 views no one else has any experience with this 14" but Steve?

With the 14" coil in Iron Disc mode whats the smallest nugget one would expect A reliable hit on?

Come on guys' this is one of the most popular detectors of all time and no ones spent any time with the larger coil just to see how it performs?

A lot of the guys that use to use them were on Steve's old AMD Forum and about 70% of them have gone missing

Try Here,  hope this helps,  john 

http://www.akmining.biz/forums/archive/index.php/t-21651765.html?s=d3f0b21da285918b5537d024d8d6b0fe

http://www.akmining.biz/forums/archive/index.php/f-61765.html?s=d3f0b21da285918b5537d024d8d6b0fe

Yeah, I would say that about sums it up. I sold hundreds of Gold Bug 2 detectors and almost no 14" coils. Only that few years at Ganes Creek stirred up some local interest. Most people keep a 6" coil glued to the unit. The Gold Bug 2 strength is getting small gold and the 6" coil plays to that. The 10" coil is the "big coil" as far as most people are concerned. I did not even stock the 14" coil the last ten years due to zero demand.

i never tested a 14" coil in disc mode for small gold but should be able to hit very small, like a grain or two, in air tests. The worse the ground the larger the nugget would need to be to overcome the blowback from iron ground mineralization so it is a question that has a variable answer depending where you are.

So there may be more answers to come from others but it may take more posts on more forums to get them. http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/177-gold-prospecting-metal-detecting-forums/