Gold Bug 2 14" Coil Performance

I use my 14" coil most of the time. I have found small gold up to a 33 oz nugget. I have found gold as small as a small bird shot. I chest mount the box and this makes a lighter load on my arm. I only use my 6" coil when there is tight places that I cannot get the 10" coil into. I was in to Ganes last year when a friend found a 12 oz nugget with his GB II and it was down deep on a side of a pile up high on a hill side. I still use my GB II and my Minelab 705 along with my ATX. I only wish that they would open up Ganes cr again.

• Like 4

Well' the GMT 14x8 DD coil would easily pick up .1 gram nuggets close to the surface I'm assuming the GB2 with the 14" coil should do this also even if I had to drop the gain because of the ground noise...

a part of the reason I started this topic was because of the lack of information on the 14" coil yes it does have a purpose and possibably in more areas than people realise but I may have to purchase one to find out if it works in my moderate soil.

The reason I'm so interested in the 14" is these flat nuggets are sitting sideways down in a slatey sandstone reef just out of reach of smaller coils and a minelab Pi don't see them' some can be up to a gram but not enough to spend the money on a SDC, digging the ground up at the wrong angle knocks them deeper and usually ends up a big hole but interesting all the same.

• Like 1

I use my 14" coil most of the time. I have found small gold up to a 33 oz nugget. I have found gold as small as a small bird shot. I chest mount the box and this makes a lighter load on my arm. I only use my 6" coil when there is tight places that I cannot get the 10" coil into. I was in to Ganes last year when a friend found a 12 oz nugget with his GB II and it was down deep on a side of a pile up high on a hill side. I still use my GB II and my Minelab 705 along with my ATX. I only wish that they would open up Ganes cr again.

When did they actually close Ganes Down??

12oz nugget that's going to make Steve Go Ouch, The flaming years he put into that Place and many hours of hard work,

Well' the GMT 14x8 DD coil would easily pick up .1 gram nuggets close to the surface I'm assuming the GB2 with the 14" coil should do this also even if I had to drop the gain because of the ground noise...

a part of the reason I started this topic was because of the lack of information on the 14" coil yes it does have a purpose and possibably in more areas than people realise but I may have to purchase one to find out if it works in my moderate soil.

The reason I'm so interested in the 14" is these flat nuggets are sitting sideways down in a slatey sandstone reef just out of reach of smaller coils and a minelab Pi don't see them' some can be up to a gram but not enough to spend the money on a SDC, digging the ground up at the wrong angle knocks them deeper and usually ends up a big hole but interesting all the same.

Well I  have the 14x8 Concentric for my GMT and it is not as hot to Small Bits As The 6x10, Which I found Odd because My Bigger coils for the MXT see Bits on the surface down to 0.03 grams / Half A grain or just under. But the GMT's 14x8 Does not see them even with the Higher Frequency,

So If you use the big one always keep your 6x10 real close because I have not got the Faith in it as of yet,

john

• 1 month later...

Purchased the 14" coil.

quick testing shows it's going to perform as expected it will see a .1 gram nugget shallow in hot soil (1") the machine does get a little confused/crackly in iron disc mode but overall not too bad.

Hopefully get away in a few weeks and put it to work might even get some video footage.

A 14 inch coil on a GB2??? I don't get it. Other than covering more ground this makes no sense to me.

Steve didn't say how deep the nuggets were he found. That would be of interest.

Kind of like putting a 4 inch puck on a Zed.

Probably I'm wrong but it seems that trying to go beyond it's intended use (finding shallow small gold) should give reason to reconsider. 

The Gold Bug 2 with 14" coil will punch as deep or deeper as any VLF in very mild ground. The intent of the Gold Bug 2 was to find gold, not just small shallow gold. Otherwise, why even make a 14" coil? How well it works is simply a matter of degree dependent on the level of mineralization. Do remember also this is not a 14" coil, it is an elongated 8" coil. Ground coverage alone is not to be underestimated.

Long story short you never know unless you try. But I do agree beardog that in more mineralized ground the larger coil can actually work against the machine.