What Bugs Me... Lone Gold Nuggets

WOW, Just read the article in ICMJ and got to agree with Steve, good article.

I spend a fair bit of time in the Santa Rita Mountains and belong

to two different clubs for the claim access and can't believe how

many club members will congregate in one small area, I stand there

looking and think, Ya right. I usually go out during the week, when

its quiet, I am talking nobody around. This is the part that really

bugs me, I have found some virgin ground and small 1/4 to 1 gram

nuggys, and just when you think you have found the mother load, you

don't find nothing else. It really makes ya wonder how did that one

little nuggy get there? Where is the rest of that little nuggys family?

Ivan

If you could travel back in time to the moment that nugget was deposited, it would probably make more sense. You can look at a gold bearing river today and more or less predict where the gold is likely to fall, depending on the flow of the water, the obstacles in the river, the depth of the course etc. But come back to the same spot in the river 500 years from now and you'll be lucky if the river is even there. Landscapes change significantly over time. What originally caused that gold to drop in the place that you find it now, will have disappeared long ago. So all you see today are the results of the gold being deposited, and not the original cause.

Time and motion.

Mountian get worn down to hills, hills rise to become ranges, valleys fill then rivers scour them to bedrock.

Gold not only concentrate in drainages, but scatters on alluvial fans, re concentrates and scatters again.

This process is never ending.

• Like 2

I have found surface pocket deposits and only found a couple small pieces. The gold never moved. It stayed with decomposing vein. Even dug down 6 feet. Tried panning for fine gold. No more that was it. And sometimes in gold bearing areas, youll come across a stray nugget. Then grid the area and never find anything else.

other deposits I found have the look of coarse gold indications, and is in a known coarse gold area, but turned out to just be all fines. Not one piece of detectable gold.

Nature is funny how gold was created. Makes you wish you could've been there when it all happend.

• Like 1