What Bugs Me... Lone Gold Nuggets

WOW, Just read the article in ICMJ and got to agree with Steve, good article.

I spend a fair bit of time in the Santa Rita Mountains and belong

to two different clubs for the claim access and can't believe how

many club members will congregate in one small area, I stand there

looking and think, Ya right. I usually go out during the week, when

its quiet, I am talking nobody around. This is the part that really

bugs me, I have found some virgin ground and small 1/4 to 1 gram

nuggys, and just when you think you have found the mother load, you

don't find nothing else. It really makes ya wonder how did that one

little nuggy get there? Where is the rest of that little nuggys family?

Ivan

I have spent quite a bit of time in Greaterville too over the past few years. Usually I find lone nuggets by themselves there either in old potholes or drywash tailings. However I've also found a small nugget first, which led me to really focus on one area, which has lead to big finds nearby.

The oldtimers found most of the hillside nugget patches out there but they didn't find them all..

A while ago I got a cheap GPS garmin automotive nuvi 5" screen and was able to load topos on it with basecamp software. Found this website with free topos, I did donate. 

Garmin nuvi 55 125.00

When I want the gps to be portable I have a aux battery pack for it.

That's a good looking map, shows the old placers areas right there.

What type of detector do you use down there?

Gold Bug 2  right there in my tag line, I have been looking at a pi and can't decide,

the gpx 4500 price is way down, but I have this thing about minelab, value for money.

Its a personal problem, maybe I should talk with Dr Laura..

Ivan,

I too spend allot of time in Greaterville. I haven't been able to crack the code detecting a nugget but I can always pull gold dry washing. Im guessing your waypoints are spots you found stuff. Im surprised you found gold as far south a cave of the bells. I have a book from the early 1900's that talks of a stamp mill near onyx cave so Im guessing there may be gold down there as well. I agree about detecting weekdays I sometimes take time off from work to detect and its nice being the only one out there. Have you ever tried box canyon area?

Ivan,

I too spend allot of time in Greaterville. I haven't been able to crack the code detecting a nugget but I can always pull gold dry washing. Im guessing your waypoints are spots you found stuff. Im surprised you found gold as far south a cave of the bells. I have a book from the early 1900's that talks of a stamp mill near onyx cave so Im guessing there may be gold down there as well. I agree about detecting weekdays I sometimes take time off from work to detect and its nice being the only one out there. Have you ever tried box canyon area?

Are you talking that road that takes ya back to Tucson I-19?

Went through there once along that huge wash, river and was thinking,

got ta check that out, but got too many other places to go first.

Those  waypoints are locations on the map the placer gold spots, and ect....

Ivan

Desertpilot  You a pilot? I have a Titan Tornado out at San Manual airport.

Built it about 16 years ago.

post-411-0-39412800-1441386584_thumb.jpg

Ivan,

Yep box canyon is the pass over to I-19. I've sampled a little bit there and a little found gold. There is also a old arraster along the canyon as well. Its cool you hunt the 
Santa Ritas I only live 45 minutes from the mountains so I spend allot of time between Greaterville and Patagonia area. With the rain we have been getting I was finally able to run a stream sluice down west of Melendez pass. I have a C-172 I keep at KFHU and use it to hunt down old mining sites away from roads. Its suprising whats still out there if your willing to hike. 

DP

post-845-0-93900900-1441391664_thumb.jpg