Best Method Of Scanning Solid Rock

OroSeeker

Thanks for the laughs!!...!!!!!!!

When I said before that maybe there was some real science to the claims that LRL's make, I meant just that. Didn't mean that I believed those machines actually worked that way. I should have been more clear. As I said, seems like the real ones are still old technology. Still doesn't mean that even a reputable person could build one for what they're trying to sell them for. Then again, yes, I am a technological idiot! *grin* ...For the record, I'm just not up to date on technology. Use to work at Compaq Computers....seems like another lifetime now. Was in Test Engineering. Not an engineer...more like the supply sergeant, but I spent every day with some of the best engineers on the planet at the time. Was going to college then too, but dropped out just short of 2 years. Just couldn't handle someone with a teaching degree telling me what was and wasn't possible when I was working with guys who kept proving the textbooks wrong.

nvchris - I think you have Minnesota confused with Michigan. UP = Upper Peninsula? Only thing I know of in MN is iron ore, but that's not gonna help me much. :-P~~

Steve - Thanks (again) for the tip on the TM 808. Looks like a killer machine. Has anyone here ever used one????

Yep,  thats what its called, the U/P of Michigan, it's a local thing to refer to it as the U/P.

Link to the copper culture  your state link

Ive tried several "2 box" VLF detectors including the TM 808. That why I recommended the TDI with a big loop. 

Its a low cost PI that accepts a wide variety of coils.

More deep seekers that actually work, (Ive tested most of these).   I won't  talk about the performance, the treasure hunting community is pretty tight lipped. 

Two Box machines are great if you own a Backhoe, The trouble starts if your pin pointing with the thing is off and you end up digging 2 or 3 feet either side of what you have found, I agree with Steve and Chris, A PI machine is the best bet for a couple of reasons one they have the power and 2 they can see through most ground conditions, and with one of those machines you will be digging some pretty deep holes, there is no easy way round what you want to do, but research and your brain is your most powerful tool because even the most powerful detector will be useless if you are looking in the wrong place,

There is more small gold out there than big nuggets you would be better of buying a PI and a VLF (LF) machine and do what the rest of the Guys do or buy a VLF and an SDC and hit the areas where gold has been found before, and if your lucky you will get a return on your investment,

Go and read Steves detector reviews and see which machines he has, and that's 10% of the job done and start looking at old maps and old news papers go to the lands department and check out where you are allowed to go prospecting, But first off join a Club that owns their own claims and watch and talk to the guys who are successful at it, That will get you closer to making you goal a reality,

John

If you are after deep, economic, macro sized iron ore deposits then look into magnetometers or magnetic gradiometers. Proton precession magnetometers are cheap and easy to build. Solid state magnetometers have also gotten very cheap and can be easily interfaced to a computer or an MCU board like the Raspberry Pi, better suited for building a gradiometer.

Metal detectors are for very shallow applications and are best suited for native metals, not iron ore. I'm not fully understanding your goal since you are being intentionally vague, but it doesn't sound like you are looking for shallow high grade gold veins or nuggets in Minnesota, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also: LRL's are total scams. I talked with Fitzgerald in 2005, he was more than happy to use all nature of gibberish and nonsense to explain his device and wanted me to come to his shop to take a look. Until I told him I was a student at the nearby university majoring in physics and looking for a project for my engineering EM grad class which required analysis of a device of our choosing. He rescinded his offer and quickly ended the phone call.

Look at Carl Moreland's teardown reports on Geotech. Some are nothing more than a wire wrapped around a crystal connected to a dead 1970's CB circuit board, or similar.

But as has been mentioned already, your chances of finding any sort of economic gold deposits in Minnesota are exceedingly small. The chances of you coming up with an idea that hasn't been used by billion $ multi-national corporations are also about the same, but hey I love an entrepreneurial and inventive spirit.

• Like 2

I'M NOT LOOKING IN MINNESOTA!! Sorry to yell. Seems some folks think I seemingly intent to try to find gold in Minnesota. True, there was once an active commercial venture (NE part of the state, I believe), but it really didn't amount to much. About the best things to be found in MY area are old farm implement parts and parts of horse tack. Sure gets boring after awhile digging up nothing but rust.

One of my local friends (one of the coin hunters mentioned before) brought his detector to my place a few weeks back - wanted to see what kinds of RICHES he could find. His machine kept telling him he had found silver coins. Finally I urged him to dig up one of the deeper targets (he had permission to keep anything he found). He decided not to take his "coin" home with him. Ended up being a piece of 1/4" copper tubing about 5 inches long.

jasong - Now you're starting to peak my interests. Assuming we can make this trip, and assuming, well, LOTS of things, that is probably the best kind of equipment for locating the ore deposits. That's going to be my most difficult challenge. Well, that and the access factor.

Sadly, it doesn't surprise me to hear about the equipment scams, "Look at Carl Moreland's teardown reports on Geotech. Some are nothing more than a wire wrapped around a crystal connected to a dead 1970's CB circuit board, or similar."

Hey, if all else fails, can still spend the winter building some equipment I've been meaning to get around to.

Again everyone, thanks for all the input. Seems I hit on a "gold mine" of a forum.

I have a full time job and investments that I depend on to raise my family and save for our future. All of the gold  I find is very hard earned and saved as an investment kept in a safe deposit box. Some years are better then others and this year has only been so so as detecting is getting  tough and I'm considering all prospecting options these days. Recently I heard of a prospector out swinging his detector(VLF) in a known gold producing district who hit a 60oz pocket of free gold in quartz that only had 6" of soil covering the outcropping. My point is prospecting/mining is unpredictable and hard work with uncertainty yet it would seem once in a while miracles do happen.

• Like 2

I have a full time job and investments that I depend on to raise my family and save for our future. All of the gold  I find is very hard earned and saved as an investment kept in a safe deposit box. Some years are better then others and this year has only been so so as detecting is getting  tough and I'm considering all prospecting options these days. Recently I heard of a prospector out swinging his detector(VLF) in a known gold producing district who hit a 60oz pocket of free gold in quartz that only had 6" of soil covering the outcropping. My point is prospecting/mining is unpredictable and hard work with uncertainty yet it would seem once in a while miracles do happen.

So True,,

HP I hope you find your miracle soon mate,

john