Not A Bad Trip

Coota

Arrived home after a quick trip north of Perth, just seven days and three of those taken up with driving there and back. Set up camp on some likely looking ground and keen to try out my discounted GPX4500 with the Coiltek Elite 14 inch coil I managed to get in two hours before dark on the second day for nil return.

I have a Zed but my reason for buying the 4500 was for patch hunting, sweep speed being the determining factor. The GPZ 7000 is unbeatable in the sensitivity stakes but she likes a slow swing so I figured, find the first one with the 4500 and then put the Zed into action.

Next morning I'm off on a four kilometer loop from camp and bugger me my first find is just 100 metres from camp on my return! A nice little .8 gram piece six inches down, the 4500/Elite combination gave a very definite dig me signal, very happy with that setup.

Had a late lunch and then put the Zed into action, several more small nuggets and a nice nine gram piece before the heat got the better of me. I just kicked back and relaxed for a couple of hours before getting back into it, another couple of little ones for a total of 14 grams for the day. Just before knockoff I had what I thought was an iffy signal with the Zed, six inches down still iffy, eight inches and the signal was better but it had been a long day so I knocked off, time for a cold beer, left the hole open to check with the 4500 the next day.

I also left another very faint Zed signal undug to compare the 4500/Elite combo on tiny gold.

Here's a pic of my smalls for the trip

post-781-0-29206200-1441371965_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Sounds like a great hunt, and very nice gold! "I also left another very faint Zed signal undug to compare the 4500/Elite combo on tiny gold." Did you ever go back and try the 4500 with the Elite coil on the ZED signal? If so what were the results of the new coil 4500 combo on the faint signal?

Watched a video made by Bloodgold I believe on U-Tube and he and his mate were testing the ZED and 5000 with the Nuggetfinder 14" R Mono. Most of the faint ZED signals were heard by the 5000 with the 14" mono coil..the only difference as I recall was that the ZED was very stable in the mineralized soil, more so than the 5000. Regardless, I think for many of us a combo 14" Elite Coiltek with a GPX detector is the way to go.

• Like 2

Hi Relichunter, I checked the faint signal first thing the next day. The 4500/Elite combo did pick it up but only in the center of the coil, the Zed performed better on what turned out to be a .20 gram piece at two inches.

I also checked the hole I left open with it and gave a slightly better response than the Zed, both definite dig me signals though. It took me an hour to get down another five inches, near on solid rock. Both detectors were blanking at that stage. Nothing response with the pinpointer.

How good is the Zed though? Picked up a .02 gram piece and then a deep one ten feet away with the same settings! You don't miss much with High Yeild-Difficult in my experience. Here's my hole and a pic of a nine gram piece I picked up.

trim.49A7E6DE-43BD-4F6C-8376-A305BA536426.MOV

post-781-0-56544900-1441410205_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Do you remember what sort settings you were running with the 7000 Coota? Ground mode/gold mode/sensitivity/smoothing? And what timing/sensitivity/stabilizer setting on the 45?

I've got a 4500+7000 too and I've been really hoping someone would post with some field experience on that new Coiltek Elite compared to the 7000, great to see your post.

Nice gold and shooting too. Video works for me if you click and download it. Easiest way to post or embed vids is to just make a youtube account and link to your video there.

I'm right there with you on the 45 as a patch hunter, same thing I do. So much faster to swing. Find em then bring the bulldozer (7000) in to clean em up.

• Like 1

Coota,

Sounds like the ZED is a cut above the gpx in many instances, particularly in the smaller nugget and speci range. I am glad to hear the Coiltek Elite is a winner with many users....a coiltek elite /4500/5000 combo may not match the ZED , but for me it's going to have to be the upgrade for now.  

• Like 1