My Nugget Detecting Kit

I bought a cheap bladder pack at Big 5 for 25 bucks. Cut off the shoulder straps waist band and  attached it to the Mine lab harness with rivet's. Been working ok but I took out the bladder as I found it to be easier to just put a couple water bottles in  the pack  then to have to deal with the water bladder. 

strick  

• Like 1

On 9/8/2015 at 10:44 PM, californiagold said:

Nice setup! Do you have to arm yourself with bear spray or gun when in alaska? Or are there no bears in that vicinity.

Unfortunately some places I go I have to protect myself ( personal choice) from stealthy mountain lions which I was attacked by a pair 20 years ago. And trinity co. Also has crazy pot growers and tweekers. I have had a couple incidents that looked like it was about to get ugly till they seen my partner and I guns. This has all been on public land. Its a wild jungle out here.

Other then that I use a similar gear. I also carry in my backpack a spare coil cover, coil bolts, battery cover etc.

Ill be glad when im done with long hours and all the projects I got going on so I can get back at it. Thanks for sharing

Plenty of bears in Alaska! I spent a lot of time in very remote areas by myself and with no communications. Anything that happened, it was totally on me. In those situations I often packed a bear gun (12 ga pump) but never actually had to use it to defend myself. I saw lots of bears over the years but they had no more interest in trouble than I did.

Mountain lions? Now those are spooky. I will take bears any day.

I have had so few detector parts failures in 40 years it is not something I worry about much, except for spare batteries. With the SD/GP/GPX I always had a spare coil bolt and battery cable. The GPZ lacks both those items.

• Like 1

Quality comfort and performance drives my pack choices.

As for doodads I carry a Spot satellite beacon.

Cannon camera that shoots HD video.

Military grade trauma first aid kit. 

Hoof pick with brush.

No pinpointer.

Sturdy pick.

Nugget scoop.

Nimrod Modular Hunting pack for long day trips and overnighters.

yhst-140504033564025_2378_6341730.jpeg

Camelback Hydration pack for tailgate days

opplanet-camelbak-mule-500-hydration-pack-digitaldesert.jpg

Will detect for beer!

DSCN0081.JPG

• Like 7

I carry the least amount possible.

Pro swing harness.

Hipstick

Wm 12 with under ear speakers , headphones on windy days. Jp B&Z booster.

Apex pick or Leland Cotter pick.

Plastic scoop

Trash bag with pinpointer in it.

Camelback in patch hunting. Jug of water when staying in one general area.

Lunch.

Small pack of baby wipes.

Cellphone and sometimes a Go pro camera.

• Like 1

I use the Camelbak Mule Mil Tac (the one in Chris's post), it's almost built just for detecting, I love it. Even has built in D-rings at just the right place for a bungee clip. Used the regular Mule for 6 years and still have it, they are bulletproof. The pinpointer and speaker module clip on to the front straps for easy access. Easy to strap an Estwing geology hammer and radio on the back too. 

The cheaper bladders always tasted like chemicals or plastic no matter how much I washed them, never had that issue with the Camelbaks.

The other nice thing about these is the weight of the water stabilizes the pack, the minelab harness moves up on me but maybe it's just my body shape.

I agree Jasong,

The Camelback bladders have near zero taste and the Mule Mil Tac is built for detecting. The D rings are in the proper location for the hipstick.

Hard to beat the Lealand Cotter custom picks, I use a long handle one with super magnets when in the trashy areas, it saves a lot of bendovers!

This is the first aid kit I carry.

Elite First Aid Tactical Trauma Kit #1

SKU #: EFA-FA142
MSRP: $49.75
$24.99

post-168-0-47805900-1441845805_thumb.gif

post-168-0-32669500-1441845807_thumb.gif

• Like 1

I buy a few ready made First aid kits from our local petrol staion when they have them on special offer,they come with all the basic requirments in a small hard plastic case and can fit either in your pack pack or even in a pocket of a coat,i dont think i could buy all the same equipment for the same price and its all ready packed for the job.All ways handy to keep with you in the car as well.Its sods law that the only time you leave the first aid kit at home something happens.

Hey Steve what do you think of your InReach?

The ability to text both ways seems like a neat feature if it actually works.

Have you had a chance to try it out?

• Like 1

I also have InReach with same plan (Safety Plan) as Steve mentions in his update.  Two way texting works good.  Seems to be a pretty reliable device.  The fact that you can get a return text gives you confidence that somebody actually got your message.  Good when in an area with no cell phone coverage.  "Don't leave home without it".