My Nugget Detecting Kit

Our setups are very close - great piece for anyone though, many just need the validation on their choices.

I'd highly recommend good gel type knee pads, at least my knees require whatever protection I can give them this late in my abusive life.

Steve, as always - great stuff! You're the best.

• Like 1

I too carry a similar setup but i also strongly believe on a fixed blade knife (Like a KBAR) and a small soldier water filter and fire starter. You desert boys may not have a need for the filter but here in the mountains its a must for emergencies - i use mine constantly as i don't have to pack as much water. 

Also when i hunt in or along a stream i carry a sniping scope and a long thin screw driver.

I typically hike 3 - 5 mls from my rig and (aside from this lack luster summer) stay out for extended periods. I carry a solid first aid kit with added fire starter and quick draw water straw everywhere i go - friends always chuckle about it.

Good luck 

AjR

• Like 3

Good post Featheredfishhead, there is a lot of water here in the north state areas, but filtering is a good idea. These compact filtering systems really do work well and reduce pack weight and space used.

I was over your way archery hunting for deer a couple weeks ago. Headed to the Shasta River area next week for the start of rifle season. Most of the items mentioned in this thread also go in my deer hunting pack. Good thread.

Mike

• Like 1

If you hike out a ways then a battery booster is a good thing to pack with you, or like I do keep a small 2 hour recharger on my keychain. They work for phones, gps, etc.

I don't really have any brand recommendations since mine was a $10 keychain thing I got at a gas station and it just does the job, but I've been thinking about getting one of the larger capacity boosters to just keep in the pack all the time. It's come in handy quite a bit, sometimes you just need another hour of juice on the gps or some time with the phone flashlight to get the last mile back, etc.

• Like 1

Hi Jason,

I have a higher capacity battery booster for a phone,

something like three recharges worth

and it really helps knowing it's there.

I have only had to go to it once or twice, but if needed, it's a good item.

Also a blood-clotting powder packet is a great thing to have close by.

Ya never know.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread!     

Steve, why do you pack your scale?  

I understand all the other prospecting, safety and all day comfort things you and others carry.  

I strive for light weight so for me a scale is something to leave in the truck unless curiosity can't wait and it's worth the - admittedly small - weight.    Or, is there something other than instant gratification I am missing?

This is a great post!

Do any of you actually practice your bush craft? Building a shelter, starting a fire in wet conditions, location of secure camp site and possible food gathering?

Swiss army knives would not serve well in an emergency situation, a good bush knife is needed in an emergency, something rugged and at least 6 inches long. Heck, it would be hard to skin a fish with a swiss army knife.

Also, a pistol is always in my pack. Not so much for self defense put mostly for emergencies, it is the number one best signal device. The universal "three shots fired" distress signal.

I carry about the same as everyone but I practice bush craft. It allows me an added level of confidence during those times when I think, "should I go any further". I always like to see what is over the next hill.

One other thing I don't see on anyones list is an extra pair of socks. What a difference a clean, dry pair of socks can make for that long hike back.

As usual - great thread!

• Like 1

Good question. The Delorme InReach has a big edge over the Spot due to the InReach having two way messaging. I updated my thread on the subject at Delorme InReach Satellite Text Communicator with the answer to your question. Short answer - highly recommended.

There was a recent case of some presumed missing prospectors in Western Australia who thought they had been sending out regular text messages but they had been failing to go through. That case ended out well as they were safe & sound but just hadn't made their usual contact albeit unknowingly due to a tech glitch. This story really highlighted the importance of two way communications in remote areas to me. Satellite phone or two way messaging as a minimum so you know your message/s is getting through. 

• Like 1