Small Magnet Rake

i ordered some rare earth magnets and when they arrived they were a little smaller than id planned on, but i figured what the heck and stuck them on a small rake i had in the garage that i bought a while back at the local garden center. the magnets came with 5mm holes and i used some pop rivets to attach them to the rake. it's light weight and the magnets seem to be stuck on pretty good for now, we'll see if I'm careful just how long before i break it... if it is even useful out there at all.

post-618-0-74156800-1442037140_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-92919700-1442037151_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-13052300-1442037163_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good....

I wondered how to clean the junk of these rakes when they become full.... So I have been toying with the idea to make a small electromagnetic rake using small li-ion batteries for power...that way I could dump the trash without touching it.... As we all know how it is hard to get our pick magnets clean.

I was inspired by watching the scrap yard behemoths that move metal from one place to another..... Maybe I will work on that when I move back to Reno next month. I have a DIY conveyor build going on now...lolpost-420-0-32035800-1442038168_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

i can see it now... giant crane mounted electro magnet sucking every piece of iron for miles around, cars on nearby roads swerving uncontrollably whenever Paul hits the switch on his massive electro rake. might be just what we need for the 7000, be great if you can make it work. sure would beat cleaning the crud off with my fingers.

• Like 1

I use a 18" wide magnet broom for surface iron, wonder if were to remove wheels and fix a few rake tongs. It has a lever that pulls the magnet away from the Al base for unloading.

• Like 1

Good thing it has a curve to it. You get that thing stuck to the side of the pickup it may be a permanent  fixture.. lol

• Like 1