Nokta FORS Gold Metal Detector

Ridge Runner....I have a Gold Bug Pro that wouldn't detect a "rice size" piece of gold until I sent it in for repair(because it wouldn't detect that size...I knew it should).  Now, no problem with that or smaller.

Steve and Ray, let's see the results....

Unless Nokta has some vastly superior technology up their sleeves, I'm guessing the detector is more or less a knock-off (internally) of one of the entry level Gold Bugs... if even that. Funny how they're really pushing that detector on to the Africans, who as you well know are avid buyers of anything counterfeit or sub par.

I've seen some of the posts and videos regarding the Velox One and let's just say they quite don't add up. The best one is the guy and his buddy in AZ traipsing down a well traveled wash wearing tennis shoes and metallic boots, and then all of a sudden discovering a whopper 24 gram gold nugget lodged next to a boulder. I got a good laugh out of that one, especially with his tennis shoe shorn buddy carrying a steel garden trowel to dig with. Not only that, the guy really goes to town with his pick in digging that nugget and other trash up. No scraping off the overburden, no real dirt sorting, just hammering away with his pick as if he knew how deep the target was. Something just don't smell right. I'm calling BS.  :unsure: 

http://youtu.be/UCTzOx61CiY?list=UUN5MkSFq8jZY7X3ix3uvkJQ

I think some of things you pointed out are rather trivial as in the tennis shoes, garden trowel, and well traveled wash. The young boy kept his distance while holding the trowel. I listen to the sound of the pick impacting the dirt and after the first few inches it was very obvious the ground was very hard. If your suggesting the nugget was planted I think not as it looked encrusted as though it been there for a while and again the hard dirt. Not scraping the over burden is not an issues as well. No two prospectors are going to follow a book on Metal Detecting. The shadows support they are out with the sun straight overhead so maybe they been working this wash for some time. Just my two cents... Also there is a third person involved who is shooting the video.

I have to admit to hardly ever watching a detector video. The only ones I have enjoyed are ones like those JP does that tries to educate owners of a model how to get the best out of it. Tips and tricks kind of stuff. Or it can be nice maybe to hear how a machine sounds. Comparative tests are by and large useless. I test a lot of detectors and the reality is it usually is so hair splittingly close I could shoot a video and make one detector look better than another with ease. All you can basically ask of a VLF detector is that it perform about as well as everything else. Final purchase decisions end up getting made by other factors.

I can find gold about as well with any of the mid-frequency units so it just comes down to the look, sound, and feel. How waterproof is it, and does that matter? Does the meter have a backlight, and does that matter? What kind of discrimination options does it offer, both visually and in the audio presentation? How many accessory coils are there, what types are they, and what do they cost? What does the machine cost? What is the warranty? Etc, etc, etc.

The main issue always is ground mineralization and number and intensity of hot rocks. The size, purity, and shape of the gold favors one detector over another, especially depending on the coil. Most machines are so close it is the coils that make the actual difference. What works well in one place can be near useless somewhere else. Toss in the fact that some machines are hot and some cold and all a video can tell you is that something worked good for somebody someplace.

But that does not mean it will work for you!

In the case of the Nokta, being a new brand, I simply want to determine if it offers performance on par with other similar units on the market, and if so, that is about all you can expect. If it does, it then just offers yet another option to the pile of options already available. If not, then they need to go back to the drawing board.

Steve

Back in the early seventies I had a dealership with White's. You could get a vibrator that plug into the speaker and like a watch it fit on your our wrist. You could get one that had a light on it that also plug into the speaker. I had looked  into this because I hunted with a guy that couldn't speak or hear. That was odd going all day not saying a word. He didn't want to write anything down. You had to get it over with your hands are not at all.

White's didn't at first have a plus for headphones but I remember putting them in.

Chuck Anders

Hi Chuck,

Believe it or not I still have one of the lights that plugs into the headphone socket! I think mine was made by Fisher though. I should dig that out and post a photo.

I had a deaf customer that hunted strictly my watching the meter. I think Nokta deserves kudos if for nothing else then for having the vibration function built into the handle. This could really help people who are hard of hearing and even be good for others in extremely noisy areas, like next to running water or in high winds, where even some headphones come up short.

The best accessory item I have seen that serves this purpose is the Treasure Products Vibra-Phone http://www.treasureproducts.com/vibraphone.html

post-1-0-97831900-1411618414_thumb.jpg

Steve

I don't remember who sold this but it was not White's. After all he went back to watching the Meter on his 66 TR. The only bad thing about him was being he couldn't hear he'd open the back of his Ford and throw that detector in. That is neat that you still have the light.

Steve time is getting away from us.

Chuck Anders

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul (Ca)

Steve,

Someone from California is finding gold nuggets with his Fors Gold,  Seen his post on the Nokta forum.

Have to admit, Both the Fors Gold and CoRe have our attention,  can't beat the price and features it has for under $1000.  Sprung for the Fors Gold this morning, Wanted to purchase the smaller coil separately but they were out so ordered the 3 coil package to get the smaller coil.

Well, hope it does well for relic hunting I know the CoRe is great for relics.  Time will tell.

Paul