Minelab GPZ 7000, The Controversy Ends?

I think to call the current GPZ a "beta" version is a gross overstatement.

Minelab could have waited to put out the SD/GP/GPX series until they reached the perfection of the 5000 - but that would be crazy.

Most users are not reporting shaft problems - I orient mine in the morning when I first get started and its good to go for the day.

The communication thing of all the detector makers is not new, nor does it have anything to do specifically with the GPZ. Part of the issue is that all these companies are small corporations. Look at the struggles of Toyota (and their brake systems), Seaworld with the allegations of poor animal treatment, Monsanto that they poison everyone - even for big corporations life aint perfect and dealing with bad press is very difficult.

Yah, they should have had extra batteries and spare skuff covers available on day one - who can argue that point?

Just because its got a high price, the expectations have been very high too. The GPZ is not the one detector that has no drawbacks, compromises or shortcomings. Steve did a whole thread on all the downsides of the nature of the GPZ when it first came out.

Yep its heavy and the coil is big, sorry, that's part of the nature of the technology. Minelab is not purposefully making heavy coils for no reason.

The big coil and odd complex double signal can make pinpointing and chasing small targets in the ground difficult. Again, its part of the technology.

Steve and I were talking about this a while back and it seemed almost like the folks who had the problems with the GPZ were running some other machine. I just don't see the problems that a few are posting about.

The GPZ repeatedly amazes me with the depth of detection it achieves on targets - little targets at surprising depth for their size and big targets down deeper than I would have expected. I deal with the inherent shortcomings like weight, and I don't have any other special problems with it. 

So if anything less than perfection is somehow a broken "beta" version, and you want to wait for that perfection, maybe the GPZ 15,000 - available 12 years from now - will be what you need. In the meantime, I will be digging gold with my very functional and powerful GPZ........

• Like 3

Reno Chris, you nailed it, bloody top post. Like all ML machines have done, it comes up with the weight and for me that is why I bought it immediately rather than wait for the bugs to be ironed out as I did regrettably when the 2000 came out. Just hope they go on with the GPS feature, as again for me a GPS with my mapping is as important as the gold ability, well almost.

This thread was started specifically for owners of the GPZ to pass on thoughts and experiences with the machine. And mind you it was not a request for complaints specifically although it seems to have been taken that way.

Since there appears to be a huge desire by others to weigh in I have started a new thread for that purpose at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1259-things-metal-detector-manufacturers-could-do-better/

Any non GPZ owners weighing in here going forward can expect their posts to get moved to that location.