Thinking Of Buying A Garrett Recon - Opinions?

spencer@wy

Thinking of purchasing one of these as harsh enviorment tool.

Looking to spend under 550.00.

Its getting to b the time of year where any detector i take out is gonna get wet and i dont want to take the chance with non-wp detector.

Anyone use the recon before personally? Advise?

Thanks guys.

The Recon is basically a Garrett ATX that lacks a motion mode. It operates only in what on the ATX would be the non-motion mode. This means it must be operated very slowly and with constant retuning. It is intended to hunt land mines in small areas. I would consider it not suitable for any prospecting tasks that involve ground coverage. For slow, careful hunting of small areas it might prove suitable.

If you need a waterproof ground balancing pulse induction machine a used Infinium may be a better alternative. Here is what Garrett has to say about non-motion mode:

"Non-Motion Mode can provide additional detection depth and allows the searchcoil to scan very slowly, even stationary, over targets. Non-Motion Mode is better at isolating targets, as target signals do not produce the audio echo which is heard in Motion Mode. Non-Motion Mode may be less stable and noisier than Motion Mode, and more frequent Retunes may be required to cancel audio threshold drift and other environmental changes. Unlike Motion Mode—which automatically works to keep Threshold tuned to a constant level—the more powerful Non-Motion Mode leaves all Threshold tuning to the user. In highly mineralized ground, Non-Motion Mode may be more susceptible to ground variaions, so it is even more important to use proper coil swing techniques (see p. 21). The use of Non-Motion Mode requires practice and is not recommended for beginners."