Things Metal Detector Manufacturers Could Do Better

Ergonomics! Real life users should be able to give real life input to the manufacturers before the final release. The company's should truly listen and implement the con's that the user's list.

It seems the engineer's get caught up on form before function.

Real life users can spot the functionality flaws of the ergonomics immediately. Because we are seeing it from a different perspective.

• Like 3

My whine has to do with the coils provided when buying new detectors.  This applies to all manufacturers.  Why not give a base price for the detector, then let the buyer decide what they want for coils.  I tend to use small coils the most.  Especially the 5x10 and smaller elliptical coils.  Most detectors seem to come standard with larger coils, which never get used in my case.

This is especially true with my ATX.  Sure would like the smaller coil.  But at $400+ dollars it's not going to happen.  I just do not get the opportunity to use it enough.  Guess this will be the next one to go.

• Like 1

I love the S-shaft...in my opinion that configuration relieves alot of stress to the gripping-hand and wrist.

Steve, I agree why not let us choose??? I have almost always preferred the large and small coil option and have little use for the stock coil...oh well.

fred

I can tell you this from selling detectors for decades. There are as many people who prefer the S rod design as hate it. It has a lot to do with the specific design. I find the Fisher Gold Bug 2 configuration to be very good for me. Yet the S rod on the Makro Racer is uncomfortable after a long day. The angle is different.

The post style on my GPZ 7000 suits me well. The one on my ATX really does not. Just subtle differences in the grip design.

My all time favorite for comfort is the F75. Perfect balance and perfect grip for me. The point here I am trying to make is this is one of those personal preference things where no one design suits everyone. Big hands or small hands makes a huge difference, and balance is more important than weight.

I 100% certainly do vote for coil choice with detectors though!!!!! I have had a lot of detectors I sold used but with a new stock coil I never used at all. The first thing I did in many cases was use an accessory coil as my main coil. Which is of course why they do it that way. Sells more coils. To this day you can't buy a Gold Bug Pro with the coil it should come with, the 5 x 10 DD, unless you get it as part of a dual coil package or spring for the more expensive F19.

• Like 3

Seeing as you asked Steve, here i go;

My gmt- head phone jack on front of control box, short adjustment span, poorly sealed unit.

my f3- piss poor molding on ear piece, collapsing/telescoping rod clamps trap dirt(scratched the crap out of carbon fiber and plastic shafts first time out) rocks n dirt got inside shaft when i tilted it up[ will silicone it up and maybe tape at clamps].

my fors gold- tight quarters on handle plug-ins, a screen you cant see, and an led light thats dim and has poor switch location.

Loaned gpx4500-same ole bulky housing that always wants to tip over.

my ideal detector- adjustable grip on a strait shaft, back pack mount elec. and batt, and control functions and screen on left fore-arm mount.

Having shot target archery all my life as well as lots of pistol ammo burned. I find it odd that some of these detector company's haven't made custom size grips/removable panel's for their machines, after all its not a one size fits all in the hand world.. With all the different type of molding material used in the gun world as well as custom archery grips. I find it odd guys swinging a loop aren't doing the same if they are that uncomfortable?

• Like 1

CTX configuration on a pulse machine, not worried about discrimination just ferrous and conductive readout, have industrial deafness and ringing in the ear. Difficult.

The ergonomics of the CTX 3030 is hard to beat. I have not yet held a Fisher F75. I'd like to see more water resistant detectors out there. Don't have to be water proof...just resistant. I think it's stupid to have to put a plastic bag over your control box.  After all this is an outdoor sport. I saw a guy not too long ago run like a little girl back to his car as soon as it started raining because he was afraid of getting his gpx 5000 wet.

strick

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2015 at 10:57 PM, indianbullet said:

Having shot target archery all my life as well as lots of pistol ammo burned. I find it odd that some of these detector company's haven't made custom size grips/removable panel's for their machines, after all its not a one size fits all in the hand world.. With all the different type of molding material used in the gun world as well as custom archery grips. I find it odd guys swinging a loop aren't doing the same if they are that uncomfortable?

I bought some thick tennis racket tape off Amazon for about $10 and wrapped it around the handle of my GPZ. Made it A LOT more comfortable. Compared to the fat foam handle on the GPX, the plastic handle on the GPZ seems a little small to me.

I also heard the rubber coating on the handle starts rubbing off after awhile too and looks pretty bad.