Is This Deal On GPX 4800 & Eureka Gold For Real?

YubaJ

The 4800 added the Coin/Relic timing and an improved Enhance timing, plus improved electronics for increased target sensitivity and ground balance performance.

The Sensitive Smooth mode exists in the 4500, was removed in the 4800, and put back in the 5000. Audio type Boost exists in the 4500, was removed in the 4800, and put back in the 5000. It appears to me part of Minelabs plan was to widen the gap between the 4800 and 5000 by removing some 4500 features from the 4800. The GPX 4800 is basically the same as the GPX 5000 with some features removed. By using the 4800 over the 4500 you would be able to take advantage of the smoother threshold, improved Enhance timings and improved ground balance.

The differences are pretty subtle and I have never heard of anyone putting Coin/Relic to effective use. The name does not mean what it says at all. You can't just go to Coin/Relic and go coin and relic detecting. It adds no discrimination capability. What it is in reality is a mode with nearly no ground balance engaged, which in conditions of near zero mineralization can greatly add to the depth. The problem is that except for clean white coral based sands in Florida almost nothing has that little mineralization.

Sensitive Smooth on the other hand is for the worst of the worst ground, and it really cuts back on sensitivity to make the machine handle extremely bad ground, the worst you might encounter in Australia. Another rarely used mode. So again, a 4800 is basically a GPX 5000 less a few very rarely used features. Or the 4800 is basically a 4500 with improved electronics, whichever way you want to view it.

The GPX 5000 currently comes with an 11" round DD coil and an 11" round mono coil. The GPX 4800 currently comes with an 11" round DD coil. The GPX 4500 currently comes with an 11" round DD coil and a 15" x 12" mono coil. The 15" x 12" mono is a great coil for use on a GPX.

Model to model changes between Minelab PI detectors are fairly subtle but the more gap there is from one model to the next the more the differences add up.

Guide to Differences Between Minelab PI Models

post-1-0-80912800-1443627303_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hey Steve and All,

I'm completely opposite, I would take a 4500 any day over a 4800 here in the Southwest US.  There are benefits of having Enhance and Sen/Smooth in heavy ironstones and basalts.  I also like using the "Boost" feature on shallow bedrock to really make the small nuggets sing out twice as loud. 

The 4800 has been a very slow seller, reason they are bundling the Eureka Gold with it. 

If it's not about money and trying to re-sale a VLF bundled with your detector, I would take the Minelab GPX 4500 with extra 15x12 coil for $2699.00.  

Just my thoughts.  

• Like 3

Good thoughts Rob. The 4800 does have the improved Enhance though. I am pretty sure resale on a used 4500 would be way better than on a used 4800 down the road, again, because it never took off.

Then again there may be people that have no detector at all and a great PI and a good VLF could be a good deal for them. I guess it can go either way depending on the person. Whichever, they are both real bargains right now.

Hey Steve,

I agree with you on that.  I was talking more from a experience gold nugget detectorist standpoint.  To get high end Pulse Induction Metal Detector and a high end VLF gold nugget detector for that price, it's hard not to consider either deal.  

Right now Minelab has some shocking promo's along with the ability to add the 15% Military Discount to them.  Not sure what this is going to do for the other manufactures that aren't offering these types of deals or incentives for active/retired Military.  

It's going to really benefit new and seasoned detectorist to purchase new or upgrade to the latest and greatest for the best prices I've ever seen.  

• 3 weeks later...

I did that deal and ebayed the Eurika and got the 4800 for 2100.00 heeeeeyaeyaaa! I was nervous and called the dealer. Have a three year warranty. I would of kept the Eureka as a pinpointer but I have a GMT and a hotrodded vsat for that. Do the deal while it lasts.

Also I've noticed that gp and sd prices are dropping because of this. Too bad minelab doesn't service their so called "discontinued" machines like White's does.

K

• 2 weeks later...

According to Rob this deal ends today though there is probably a couple days wiggle room if you order immediately. http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/11685-fall-gpx-promos-about-to-end-get-in-now/

I have been hearing mixed messages on the 4500 - some say the deal is permanent but Rob says it is also going to end. In my opinion that would be very unfortunate as Minelab desperately needs an entry level PI. While some may argue $2699 is hardly entry level by most standards it does provide that option compared to much more expensive Minelab options. I guess we will find out soon.