Remarkable Zed Sensitivity

Condor

We had a cold snap in sunny Yuma, 78 degrees at 0530. I went back out to the previously hammered gold drywash zone. I found the 2 bigger pieces 2ft apart on the shoulder of a worked out gulley. They were 8 to 10 inches deep under some drywash tailings, resting on a layer of hardpacked clay. I gridded the area with no more luck, although I had bootscrapped one spot a couple times. I decided to plug in my earphones and jack up the sensitivity to 16. I gave the area a good go no new targets, but I kept going back to the bootscrapped spot. With the threshold at 1 I was getting a faint stutter in one direction, but nothing on the backswing. I used my pick to pull down a couple inches of dirt. Ever so faint signal in one direction. I decided to settle this thing and dug up a foot square down about 4 to 5 inches. Finally, a repeatable signal. I got to the hardpack layer and after a couple tries got it in the scoop. Really tiny so I measured the depth. I measure 9.5 inches. Now I can't say that nugget was actually resting at that depth, but he was damn close. He weighs in at .1 gram. The total for all 3 nuggets was 1.1gram. I'm liking the Zed with the threshold at absolute minimum. The background is chattery, but a target breaks through with ease.

post-95-0-23152400-1443808975_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

condor, nice work and very nice nuggets. thanks for the report on your settings, i have been running my threshold very low, now i'm going to try lowering it all the way down. I've also been running with audio smoothing off, were you using any smoothing? difficult? high yield?

HY, Normal, Smoothing off. I think it's a brain/audio conditioning thing. The more I use it, the more the chattery background seems to fade. Mind you, I'm in some pretty mild ground, but when I hit more mineralized ground I have to slow way down.

• Like 1

Excellent swinging, Condor!

Interesting story about sticking with the boot scrape. I know there's a lot of boot scrapes I've left behind that I just couldn't wrap my head around and dismissed as hot ground.

I usually detect in Normal and Audio-Smoothing Off then if I hit something I can't tell is a metal target or hot ground I'll switch to Difficult. If the target disappears I'll usually move on. I've dug quite a few deep holes in some nasty thick clay that I think just had some bad hot rocks at the bottom of them because of the wide spectrum of the sound. After a little digging metal objects should eventually start putting off a pretty clean high-low or low-high tone.

However, the real question is whither or not I should be Auto-Tracking or not with my GPZ once I find a signal that's giving me some trouble.

Do you think after spending 5-10 minutes sweeping your coil over it and scraping a little dirt away here and there that eventually the GPZ will start tuning out the target, if it's faint and deep enough?