Fors Gold+ Coming Soon

Ironically I did the first major review of a Nokta product in the U.S. on the FORS Gold at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/352-detailed-review-of-the-nokta-fors-gold-nugget-detector/. One of my comments regarded the side display on the FORS and lack of visibility while in use. I opined that a standard forward facing display would be preferable. Ultimately I also determined that the FORS Gold and FORS CoRe were basically the same detector with the Gold lacking the COG conductive ground mode. I ended up keeping the CoRe instead of the Gold.

I very much anticipated the Racer because it was billed as basically being a CoRe in a different package.

Then I got the Racer and compared to my CoRe it came down to balance and feel. The Racer has an odd angle in the handle that combined with the nose heavy attribute makes it harder on my arm than the CoRe even though the Racer weighs less. The Racer is fine with the small coil but with stock or larger coil the CoRe has a much better balance and feel - to me. So after my fuss about forward displays my Racer ended up finding a new home with Keith Southern and I still have the CoRe.

Now with the changes in the FORS Gold+ it is very much more a unique detector all its own and a much more compelling machine for the gold prospector than was previously the case. I am very interested in seeing how it compares to the FORS CoRE. The biggest obvious difference is the 19 kHz frequency on the Gold+ but also the lack of the three tone DI3 "coin hunting" mode that you have on the CoRe.

Honestly, a 4 kHz frequency difference is not all that much. I think it really boils down to intended use. If all you want is a good VLF for prospecting than the FORS Gold+ is the obvious choice. For those wanting more versatility and still good ability to hunt gold nuggets then the CoRe is the way to go.

One thing I have been trying to balance when dealing with VLF detectors is the trade incurred in choosing an operating frequency. In general higher frequencies are hotter on small gold. However, higher frequencies also "light up" the ground responses and hot rocks more compared to lower frequencies. When comparing a very high frequency detector to a more middle of the road frequency in very bad ground mineralization, the lower frequency will often be smoother operating and get better depth on gram plus nuggets. It is not a case always of "higher is better" but more dependent on the type of gold sought and ground conditions. Still, 19 kHz is a bit of a sweet spot for gold prospecting and I think this is a very good move on Noktas part.

P.S. It has been confirmed that other Nokta coils will not work on the FORS Gold+. The Nokta FORS Gold+ will start shipping to dealers around the 3rd-4th week of October so figure general availability starting in November. For more information see http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/nokta-fors-gold-plus-metal-detector.htm

• Like 2

I am never totally disappointed in any detector I purchase. Basically, the disappointment I have is the design. The S shaft has to go and I see the FORS Gold+ is falling in line with that design. I think those folks have been listening.

I have 4 machines from 3 different companies, trying to cover all the bases. One PI, one high frequency VLF, one mid range frequency VLF and one low frequency. Because of design, Nokta has my attention, big time. 

I don't think, "it is just another VLF machine." I think it's another VLF machine that is well designed and will give a better experience at the end of the day.

After more reports come in from the field I will take the plunge. I am hoping it is as comfortable as I think it is. Also, a longer warranty would be very nice.

Kill the S shaft!

• 3 weeks later...