GPZ Update?

Coota

Yup, andesites and basalts plus moaning/groaning in the alkali. Yet nowhere so far in my experience to be more than an annoyance. The rocks tend to be surface or very shallow (though not always!) and the alkali areas I have done quite well in by just slowing way down.

The alkali issue could be solved two ways. One would be to just allow the machine to ground balance fully into the conductive salt range. The downside is just like with any beach detector eliminating the salt signal reduces or even eliminates signals from certain gold targets. But it gives you quiet stable operation in return.

A variable motion or SAT control would help also. It is obvious that slowing down allows the GPZ to better keep up with and adjust for the salt signal. Increasing the self adjusting threshold retune rate would allow for faster col movements with less noise. Again, a trade made in faint (small shallow or large deep) target responses being sacrificed.

I am taking a bit of a purist approach with the GPZ myself. I know for a fact that eliminating the salt signal and even all hot rock signals takes with it certain gold targets. So long as the number or intensity of such signals does not become truly overwhelming I prefer to just deal with it by digging a few rocks or manipulating the audio responses (in the case of alkali) and retain that edge I feel I have running the machine extremely hot.

• Like 1

Yup, andesites and basalts plus moaning/groaning in the alkali. Yet nowhere so far in my experience to be more than an annoyance. The rocks tend to be surface or very shallow (though not always!) and the alkali areas I have done quite well in by just slowing way down.

yes every one has been boot accessible and for me its only been a few area of one mountain thats given me trouble, there are just to many of these andesites in one place and the high low pitch is constant while my coil is in motion. this has to be some of the worst ground anywhere and I'm not experienced enough to deal with it.

The Andesite bombs have always been a problem with past pi detectors, but the issue I have isĀ  with certain Motherload "hot" slates/shists with surrounding red soils and clays. These areas were a tough ground balance for me with the GPX series, but even more so now, with the increased sensitivity of the 7000. Im using difficult but it still groans. Otherwise It's a killer detecor on old patches, but there's room for tweaks and improvments imo.

• Like 3

thanks, just understanding a problem better makes it easier to deal with.

Ā 

I'm anxious for this update rumored for the gpz, my gut says its likely more than a minor tweak as that could have been done fairly quickly and with all the hype and energy that went into the initial release of Zed quickly followed by nothing at all... well something should have been in the works to ride the wave from the release of this new technology, Coils, the long life battery? Something to take advantage of the press while they have it.Ā 

Ā 

my hope is this release is something that was already in the works prior to the initial release at the beginning of the year, something intended all along. wishful thinking I'm sure, but this detector was engineered to upgrade, the initial release seems fairly basic in its extraordinary way and something surely must follow?

Nice, can't wait to get out to the field and try this out.