Why My Gold Is In A Safe Deposit Box

Or sell it! Any more than a few nuggets with special memories always seemed superfluous to me. Compared to the things I've bought and been able to do with the money I made off my gold, I have never once regretted getting rid of some small, shiny yellow rocks that I rarely even look at (especially when they are in a safety deposit box).

I feel bad for that guy though, so much hard work, at least the memories are still there but that's hard...

• Like 2

An inside job, someone he told or showed stole it. 

A lovelock prospector had his display of gold that spanned many years of detecting, stolen several years ago.

If you're going to keep it around the house a gun safe bolted to concrete or a floor safe in concrete.

A friends has a display that is in a finished basement, it's a long lighted glass top bar with draws/trays that fit into a large gun safe set into a river rock masonry corner. Its pretty cool to be able to show and secure your finds.

Hope the guy doesn't beat himself up. Hope the scum gets himself beat up.

I found half of my nugget collection missing once but the other nugget was still there. Oops there it is - stuck to the bottom of the pill bottle lid.

The topic of where to stash your gold comes up quite often. I have heard horror stories about safe deposite boxes and nearly every other form of trying to keep high value items of small size. I don't have any real good solutions so I guess "Lay up your treasures in heaven".

My wife was in the jewelery business for years and the best way to get killed is to keep anything of value in a safe in your home. Bad idea, always use a safety deposit box.

• Like 3

Hope the dirt bags gets his dues one day, I am sure he will. It smells of an inside job....it's not like fishing, cant brag about your finds. I would agree that a safety deposit box, or a heavy gun vault bolted to concrete. Exterior security lighting and a dog. And don't forget to keep your equalizer near.

• Like 1

Yup, I like the old saying, "never cast your pearls before swine".

I like my waterproof, Schedule 40, sub-terrain, security device.

I've been doing this for years. It is the only thing I trust.

It's interesting, over the years rumors have started and a "tale of buried treasure" has evolved.

One time a friend asked me if he could see my gold. I told him it was buried. That was 14 years ago. Then, one day, I stopped in at the local watering hole (3 - 4 years later) and heard some locals talking about gold buried up on the ridge. They did not know me and I did not join in. I just smiled and thought about how much these stories can grow. The yarn had been stretched quite a bit!

I'm lucky to own 27 acres up on that ridge. It's real secure -

• Like 1