Detector Maintance

Swifty

So this morning my plan was to replace coil cover on the zed and then do the software upgrade. Last time I had the detector out it was slightly sprinkling rain and the coil had some dirt stuck to it. I grabbed the garden hose and just waved the spray over the coil. and wiped it down with a dry cloth. Then I saw water dripping out from under the coil cover and was a little shocked at how much water had gotten between the coil and cover so fast.  This is what I found when I pulled off the cover. I can say this is the first time I'm glad I've worn out a coil cover

post-610-0-42974000-1444672441_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did you pan that material?

• Like 1

Did you pan that material?

Good idea!

Like the SDC, I think the "vented" coil cover on the GPZ has something to do with it being a detector you can use in the water. The cover isn't sealed on there with tape like the old ones. I think Minelab designed it to let water drain out of it.

I've since switched to the black coil cover cuz I wore my stock one out.

• Like 1

Good idea!

Like the SDC, I think the "vented" coil cover on the GPZ has something to do with it being a detector you can use in the water. The cover isn't sealed on there with tape like the old ones. I think Minelab designed it to let water drain out of it.

I've since switched to the black coil cover cuz I wore my stock one out.

I took Lunks advice and did pan it, there were a few flakes of gold so im saying the upgrade works great lol..  If your Zed is starting to feel like it's getting heaver each time you use it you may want to check if dirt is building up under that stock cover.

• Like 1

Here's the thing.

We all know what havoc having dirt between the coil and the coil cover causes.

Why in the world would you make a vented coil cover?

What am I missing?

• Like 1

Like Chris said the SDC is the same way and I agree with him...so water can drain out. Once you realize that it also allows dirt and debris in it just becomes  routine maintenance pull the cover off and clean it out. It really is pretty easy to do after you do it a couple of times and get a feel for it.  A car key and some strong fingers do the job nicely.