Detector Maintance

Swifty

I once again am Mr. Oddball. In over forty years of metal detecting with countless makes and models I have never had dirt under my coil cover be a problem with the performance of the detector. At least that I was ever aware of. I do of course find a bit of fine dust or grit under some covers when I pry them off but frankly I am pretty skeptical that the amount and concentration would ever be enough to make a difference unless it was pure magnetite. And that I have never seen under any of my covers in sufficient quantity to matter.

I have had a coil cover make a difference at the beach.  Some of the wet black sand and other salty pieces had to be cleaned out so often that now I hunt without a cover.  I knew I was having a problem with trapped particles when the coins started sounding muffled.  I don't like to ground it at the beach so I'm ok without a cover.

I once again am Mr. Oddball. In over forty years of metal detecting with countless makes and models I have never had dirt under my coil cover be a problem with the performance of the detector. At least that I was ever aware of. I do of course find a bit of fine dust or grit under some covers when I pry them off but frankly I am pretty skeptical that the amount and concentration would ever be enough to make a difference unless it was pure magnetite. And that I have never seen under any of my covers in sufficient quantity to matter.

Hey Steve, I honestly cant say it was affecting the detectors performance other then I was swinging some extra weight on a already heavy coil and it may have been giving me less of a true ground balance. But I don't feel I missed any nuggets with all that dirt riding around inside :)

I had a sand problem withTDI a couple of years ago, we took a boat out to a spot in the rain off the oregon coast went through some quicksand when we got out of the boat carrying all our gear to hard ground. I had the TDI covered up good i thought till i got home after the hunt, i heard something rattling inside of it so i took the housing off and found a small screw had come loose. Im glad i did because it had gotten quite a bit of sand inside. I thought i had been pretty careful running it covered in the rain. Sand seems to be able to work its way into everything. Thank god i didnt toast it because it was probably wet sand.

I had been using my sdc in water on muddy sandy bottom and had alot crap under my cover also,wonder if that new gutter seal in a can would seal coils up,anyone used this sealant yet,cant remember what the name was,even seal a hole in your boat