Dink With Update

1515Art

went up to the sierras for a few day of hunting to test out the zed after installing the new software update and getting my yellow ferrite. my take, the update made a noticeable difference in the behavior of the GPZ, in basic settings it was much more stable and slightly more sensitive, so much so that I was choosing to run zed a little bit hotter. the ground chatter was readable in a way thats hard to explain and tiny targets were popping, although some subtle signals may have been masked. still i was recovering some of the tinniest pieces of trash and bird shot yet and recovered a .38 gram piece down about 3 or 4 inches, that gave a clear signal after a little boot scrape from a very very pounded patch.

i almost had one little mishap while i was wandering through the forrest, as i was walking along stepping over dead wood and rocks it became apparent my pick was not banging on my leg. somehow it came unstuck from my holder and i didn't notice it falling off... so, s**t... i have no idea when or where it went and I've walked quite a ways since my last dig. luckily my ZED gps trails were on and after about an hour of walking with the gpz backwards and upside-down i was able to retrace my steps and with one last effort before daylight fell, found myself looking down to see my pick at my feet, I'm gonna paint the handle orange so its easier to find next time.

post-618-0-01099800-1445551146_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I agree about painting the pick handle.

They make some great florescent paints,

I striped the handle with yellow and red

and have been saved twice by the bright coloring

when, in my hunting "zone," I walked away from my pick.

• Like 1

DANG IT 1515 ART!! I have been avoiding using the GPS saying it was an uneccesary waste of time and added cost to an already over priced detector and was able to create about a thousand other reasons why the GPS was silly. BOY YOU SURE RUINED MY FUN.

Now I have to admitt that I'm just technolgically dissadvantaged mentally.

• Like 2

Nice one 1515Art. Been there done that - I've got reflective tape on the handle.......

Early days on the update. Got out yesterday - weather is hot here now (100+ F) so the ground is literally hot. I'm sure this is why I didn't notice the zed in general use being quieter. I expect that given the heat. I was in Mt Magnet at an old patch where the ground is pretty hot (in a mineral sense).

I got a nice little 1.3 grammer down about a foot. What I can say is that signal was definite, so much so I said straight away "that's gold, 100% sure". I got a tiny 0.2 grammer as well but the deeper bigger one was a stand out signal (more so than normal imho). I was in normal/general sensitivity on 6, manual tracking.  

Cheers

BB

• Like 1

DANG IT 1515 ART!! I have been avoiding using the GPS saying it was an uneccesary waste of time and added cost to an already over priced detector and was able to create about a thousand other reasons why the GPS was silly. BOY YOU SURE RUINED MY FUN.

Now I have to admitt that I'm just technolgically dissadvantaged mentally.

it wasn't easy, but my garmin was turned off and the only thing i had was the trails on the zed... really tough to follow until i got the hang of it and even then it was still slow and go, its great for keeping track of the search area but id plan on it as a last resort for navigation.

the weather up in the sierra was great, it had rained the day before so the soil was a little damp. it was cloudy the first day, sunny and a little windy on the second and clear and calm on the third and in the high 60's all three days... perfect weather for walking in the hills and digging holes, my favorite time in the mountains. when i hit that little .38 i was running fine gold, normal, sen 16, tresh 15 smoothing off volume 12 auto tracking, it was noisy but this area is cleaned out so any signal is of interest and i was OK checking a hot rock here and there. the little picker was a sharper high low than the hot ground, all my small gold (thats all so far) has been a high low tone.

I'm jealous. I was busy doing a heart-lung transplant and some incidental brain surgury- on one of the excavators. I haven't done the upgrade on the Z but McQ has so  we'll get out together soon and that will give us all a good comparison.

• Like 1