GPZ New Quick Track Behavior

hawkeye

Jonathan Porter, on 24 Oct 2015 - 8:55 PM, said:snapback.png

It's OK to use either software version without the Ferrite, personally I'd go with the latest version of software because it's so much more refined. Without the Ferrite just make sure you perform the walk and sweep method properly in all the Gold Modes you intend to hunt in. Another thing of interest is the GB now dumps all its info when the Quick Trak button is held in for more than ten seconds, so keep the walk and sweep less than ten seconds or if you want to improve on the result release QuicTrak and then hold in again to further improve beyond the 10 second mark.

JP

I was surprised I did not see further discussion of the information JP presented in the last sentence of the above post. I thought it was quite significant when compared to the older firmware version which dumped anytime the Quick Trac button was pushed.

Just thought I'd give you another chance to read.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jonathan Porter, on 24 Oct 2015 - 8:55 PM, said:snapback.png I was surprised I did not see further discussion of the information JP presented in the last sentence of the above post. I thought it was quite significant when compared to the older firmware version which dumped anytime the Quick Trac button was pushed.

Just thought I'd give you another chance to read.

Posted this on another forum which had lifted my remarks from here, to further clarify my comments please read below.

JP

Its not mentioned in the owners manual because it's something that is part of the overall GB software process that happens under the hood but I felt compelled to inform people of my own personal work flow if I personally did not have the Ferrite handy.

When Quick Trak is triggered the new GB software operates similar to before but it now prefers a Ferrite to be present for X balance excitation, its now designed this way because most operators are now aware of the Ferrite and have possession of one, I also HIGHLY recommend its use at all times even when it does not seem necessary. 

My concern was if an operator held Quick Trak in for too long when Performing the "walk and sweep" they, in my opinion, might be dumping hard earned data. So my personal work flow would be to release Quick Trak and then trigger again, if the process is taking time to finalise, to help keep the process controlled. Same goes for sweeping over the Ferrite, it is better to release Quick Trak and trigger again to accumulate good data if the GB procedure is taking time (salty ground or Saturable soils present).

Hope this helps

JP

• Like 3

what a wonderful world...I can gain experience from the finest Detectorists  I know of...JP and Steve being in the forefront.

I thank the Gold Gods every time I turn my GPZ on that so many experienced operators are willing to share their info.

I hear and (sometimes) obey....thank you all!

fred

• Like 1

Steve I think you do yourself a disservice! Your one of the most experienced detectorists I know and I've learned a lot from you. Your knowledge of such a huge array of different types of metal detectors is nothing short of amazing, and is THE main reason why Detector Prospector is my first port of call each and every day. I just wish I had more time to actively participate in discussions.

JP

• Like 2