Wet Wood & Tree & Plant Roots. Gpz7000

Steve's method is to run the machine maxed out and filter the sounds yourself to pick out the good signals.

Bill Southern also wrote a pretty good article in the latest GPAA magazine about running the machine as quiet as you can so the ground noise doesn't mask metal targets.

I ran my GPZ noisy on Normal Soil setting most of the year but lately I've tuned it down a little and ran it on Difficult.

I've had issues with tree roots and saguaro roots here in Arizona. The Difficult Soil setting seems to eliminate most of that.

Just remember a metal target is usually going to hit a lot harder than ground noise. I've dug tree roots that have gotten louder the further I've dug down but I can usually eliminate them because they will still make a longer "Wee... Woo..." target noise that doesn't drop off sharp at the end of the swing like a metal target.

Tis a difficult one to say exactly how to run the 7000, max it out works so does a setting such as Bogenes ie threshold way down sensitivity full. I have found it depends on how I am handling the signals at that time. Whether I`m fresh or tired and whether I`m cleaning up a patch or patch hunting. Either way gets gold and leaves gold. I`d have to say it is the operators call and something that cannot be said which way is best, but broad tree root signals can be deep nuggets.

Steve has given a gem, "You have to be fluent in the machines language" so very true.

One thing for sure I want to emphasize I am not recommending running a detector full out as a "best practice". Too much noise can indeed mask the signals you are looking for and it is mentally tiring. I was discussing it as a method for pulling gold out of areas that no longer produce using other methods. There are very many people who prefer for good reason to run a machine with the quietest most stable threshold possible. The good news is we have settings on detectors that allow us to run them whichever way suits us best. While I tend to run my detectors hot and noisy good buddy Chris Ralph prefers smooth and quiet. And we both bring home the gold.

Roots can produce signals for a variety of reasons. One most people might not consider is what happens when you get a large root in real bad ground. In those situations you are sometimes not detecting the root itself but the void created in the mineralized ground.

• Like 1

Steve nailed it in a nutshell for me. I have ran the gpz7000 in all sorts of varied settings. In varying ground conditions. Various atmospheric conditions. Found good gold in most all of the different settings.

Seems the only way to run it wrong is to run extra deep, severe ground, high smoothing, sensitivity at 1, and threshold maxed out. Or screw up the ground balance procedure.

A secret tip..... To be read by SS only.......

Scott;

A man with your craftsman tallent should find this quite easy.

1. Find a "hot " root about 2" diameter

2. cut a 3/4" cross section from the root

3. bore a 7/8" hole through the center of the section

4. paint it yellow

5. ground balance over the top of it with a swooping circular-square motion while doing a bit of Soft Shoe dancing.

Excelleant results are guaranteed

• Like 2