Video - Inside Minelab Engineering

Why can't all of these JEENYUSEZ come up with an armstrap that will fit over my coat sleeve?

When it comes to the 7000, I am amazed at both the technology and the lack of common sense.

Please refer to my post on January 30, 2015.

• Like 2

They make the best. But if I was a full-time prospector I'd look at the GPZ and think it was built like a toy.

Then again I've used mine pretty hard this year and haven't had any problems with it (except for the lower shaft "twist").

Maybe their products come off as a little dinky but they perform well. Which is what counts.

You guys are a tough audience for sure. Think about all the money and development effort it takes to create a totally custom detector platform like the CTX/GPZ package. As opposed to just another box/rod/coil or pod on a stick.

This.....

post-1-0-66684300-1447123372_thumb.jpeg

Versus something like this....

post-1-0-17353400-1447123424_thumb.jpeg

And with cutting edge performance to boot.

• Like 1

I personally don't own a 7000 but I have used one.

For the price I can't see why Minelab put it in a plastic case.

How many years in the sun will this plastic tolerate before it becomes brittle? The screen is also going to get jacked.The areas I hunt in are very rugged.My GMT has been back to a Whites two times to have the screen fixed because I crashed with it.

Also I don't like the arm cuff what was wrong with the old style? I even use the GPX Minelab cuffs on all my detectors.

They are kind of hard to use with a coat on but I get by.

Just because a developer has created a totally custom platform doesn't mean it is compatible with all operators.

Don't get me wrong I have used Minelabs almost exclusively. I feel they are the best out there and have been for years.

I'm just not happy with the 7000 platform other than it being cordless.

• Like 2

It is not so much a matter of really liking it I suppose as just not - not liking it! There are things I could improve but I can say that about any detector. Compared to my GPX 5000 I like:

that it has an integrated battery

that it has a wireless speaker module

that it is waterproof

that it has integrated GPS that I use every time I use the detector. I get that some people do not use it but trust me, it adds nothing to the weight or the retail cost.

the enclosed coil cable

easy shaft length adjustment

that one coil does almost all I need

that it can be upgraded with software downloads

as far as I am concerned, very simple operation

I was not by any means wowed when I first laid hands on the GPZ and was in fact pretty underwhelmed. It has however grown on me over time. My main real gripe from an operational perspective is simply that it is heavier than I like. But it is well balanced and 85% of the time my coil rides on the ground, somewhat supporting the weight.

I really am loath to say much about the GPZ these days as I hate coming off as if I am defending it somehow. These are just my honest opinions about something that is working for me. I really like firing it up and running it all day long. It works, it finds me gold, and it will only get better. I'm happy.

• Like 5