Basic Detecting Skills

True that probably 10% get the gold, fishing is the same but the price for that is dedication, persistence etc.

On search areas, we seem to concentrate on areas that are noted for coarse gold, it is not always true, often have found coarse gold outside such areas even in areas where the gold is reputed to be "locked" up in the ore and not visible.

A open mind will get more gold.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting up your video Chris.

One thing is for sure when you run around most of the time with a 20 inch round coil on your detector it is not hard at all to recover targets when you change over to a small coil.

I like your jargon! Next time I'm out I'm going to try boot digging for road nuggets.

Root

The most important skill to try master for metal detecting is hand eye ear coordination.

Once you truly master this skill you can swing quicker and work in various adverse soil or atmospheric condition's and still pick up the gold that everyone else missed.

Detecting is relativley easy............. Prospecting however is a whole other kettle of fish.

Prospecting takes years of experience and dedication to reach even a satisfactory level of proficiency.

In all of my years I have only met a very small number of operators that I would say are good prospectors!!!

• Like 2

Gold Hound your right good prospectors are hard to find.

I have spent a lot of my life pocket hunting. I have tried to have guys help but it never turned out for the better.

They loose interest after 1 or 2 months.

Finding gold helps and it helps you become a better prospector.

Root

I must also add

Some nuggets are just on the brink of detection. They are only heard every second or so sweep of the coil. Ground balance may improve the signal or it may not. So you must repeat the process looking for the obviouse sign to dig. Yet this sign my not be there, you should still knock off a inch or two of dirt. Sometimes you will be surprised by a repeatable signal.

If my detector makes me investagate I never leave with out moving a bit of ground to get the coil closer.