Warranty Service On The GPZ

nvchris

Chris, since it was a software issue I worked on the problem with the technical team by email and over the phone. The machine did not have to be sent back for an initial evaluation. The machine was declared dead and could not be remotely accessed to reinstall the software. This type of problem is extrememly rare and may never happen again.

To repair the unit it would have to be cracked open, the software wiped and possibly have the memory chips/boards replaced depending on what type of chips were used and what software was effected. The lockup may have also involved a hardware failure. Replacing the unit may have been cost effective but was also a strong show of customer support. I was treated very well and greatly respect the entire Minelab team and distribution channel.  

• Like 1

A little work with google and Google maps shows the address in Chandler AZ to be a UPS store (unit 1) so I guess 1-134 is box 134 at the UPS Store. That explains why your signature was by "u ups"

Seems like a sensible arrangement for recieving the incoming packages,

Minelab West

Attn: Brian Lewis

4960 S. Gilbert Road

Suite 1-134

Chandler, AZ 85249

Where he the repairs are done, I have no idea. Mr. Lewis apparently has a company, link below, registered in nearby Gilbert AZ, the address is residential.

https://bizstanding.com/profile/intraconnect+media+llc-88060587

I just edited this post again to add the following.

There is nothing wrong with ML subcontracting warranty and other repairs and the subcontractor they have chosen is probably well qualified to carry out the work. A bit more transparency about the arrangement seems to be in order however.

• Like 2

Since stuff can be shipped worldwide quickly - anyone dealing with Nokta/Makro has seen that magic at work - Minelab would be far better off on the GPZ 7000 instead of replacing units to just ship DHL at their cost to the best possible service location. Maybe it is just a special service for GPZ owners only, but I have to say that if you are going to charge a super premium price for a detector than it darn well better come with super premium service. Anything less is a fail.

If the sub-contractor can't return calls then at a minimum units should go to Chicago.

• Like 8

Simply baffling how a company can make the best detectors in the world. But then be so inept when is comes to customer relations, website. Everyone wants to maximize profits. But at what cost. I personally would rather make a little less and keep my customer base totally informed and happy.

• Like 1

NVChris thanks for documenting your Zed repair story.  Nov 12 to Dec 2 = 20 days out.   I have an RMA from Minelab Chicago for the same Zed pixel issue yet have not sent it in since I don't want to be without it 3 weeks.  They quoted me "2-3 weeks" for the turnaround.

My display never goes blank and the thin vertical line is about 4 mm wide and does not interfere with any critical characters and is not getting worse.  Been this way about 3 months.   A friend's Zed has the same missing columns of pixels issue and his is continually getting worse -  more vertical columns of pixels going black.

The pixel issue and broken plastic footrest are the only problems I've had with my Zed.   I don't do gentle well.  Mine has seen a lot of abuse to more parts than the coil cover.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the support from this community!

Im pleased with the turnaround time that 20 days included two weekends and one was the 4 day thanksgiving weekend.

Less transit time leaves 7 working days.

Heres a question for Rick K (or any in AZ)     Is the Minelab training center/store still open in Prescott Valley? 

I don't think so, but don't know for sure.

The address was

Minelab Technology Training Center

1191 Old Chisholm Trail

Prescott Valley - Dewey, Arizona 86327

Here's a Google Street view shot of that address – I assume it's pretty current it looks vacant. It's the same building as in the pix and video from the opening in 2010.

post-3-0-25873500-1449333561_thumb.png