2016 Detector Rumors ?

Well, with 2016 right around the corner here is my latest update.

First Texas (Fisher, Teknetics). Last year I said I would not be surprised if the new Fisher units slipped into 2016 so no surprise there. I think it is all but guaranteed we will see these units in 2016. The Fisher CZX and "Mosca" platform are perhaps my most anticipated and looked for detectors in 2016. Given that Dave Johnson and Carl Moreland are involved I think this will be big.

Garrett. I just do not know. They are way, way overdue for a new top end machine to replace the GTI 2500. It came out in 1999 and it is hard for me to believe they have not come out with anything to replace it in all these years. I also keep hoping for a ATX built from the ground up for desert prospecting. I have no expectations from Garrett specifically but their last VLF introduction was the AT Gold in 2011 so they are due for a refresh at this point. I am cautiously optimistic we will see something new from Garrett in 2016.

Minelab. Let's face it, 2015 was the big year for Minelab. The most I am hoping for in 2016 is a GPZ accessory coil.

Tesoro. They become less relevant with each passing year.

White's. White's really, really needs to do something. They are a sealed black box and I have nothing to go on but some impressive patents filed the last few years. They lost a lot of old timers and there are lots of new people there so who the heck knows what might happen. All I do know is they went from top of the heap to looking sort of lost these days, and I think they need a real home run this year. They are kind of cruising on past reputation at this point, and releasing the widely panned Treasuremaster and TreasurePro has done nothing to help them. A well executed flagship machine could once again paint them as a leader in the industry, and a failed release could make them a target for a buyout. If there is a company I feel is at a tipping point, it is White's.

XP. The Version 4 update of the DEUS is assured in 2016, just a matter of when. It is not quite what many were hoping for, which was a true multi-frequency option, but the V4 update certainly got my attention, enough to make me buy a new DEUS. In that respect it has already succeeded.

Nokta/Makro. The new kids on the block, taking the position relinquished without a fight by Tesoro, is Nokta/Makro. Despite recent releases all the buzz seems to be on the new Impact model under development. The Impact could really have a big impact by taking Nokta/Makro out of the realm of producing niche machines with something that seems clearly targeted at being a flagship type model appropriate for multiple uses and markets. I think it is very important that the company take the time to get this one completely right in every detail, with no chance of any embarrassing quality control issues arising. What I perceive right now with Nokta/Makro is a company moving aggressively fast by executing a rapid feedback loop with customers. This has lead to some quality control issues that need to be stamped out lest the companies develop a reputation for just that. A well executed flagship model that stands with the best offered by the big names could take Nokta/Makro to the next level. Given the importance of getting this one right I would not be surprised to see it slip into 2017 but a year is a long time and as fast as these folks move we could see it before the end of 2016.

The Russian company AKA referenced above has entered my radar with some impressive looking models getting good reviews. With absolutely no representation in the US however they are still very much a fringe operator. Blisstool and Deeptech are ahead of them in that regard, but those companies also are niche players unheard of by most people. Blisstool in particular has some interesting technology some serious detectorists are giving a thumbs up, but the machines are retro in a way that is not going to attract a wide market. That is fine, there is always a place for niche machines and these new names by even making this discussion are making inroads. The competition is heating up worldwide and that can be nothing but good for the metal detecting public.

2016 looks to be a very interesting year with just the Fisher releases and the Deus V4 update more than enough to keep me busy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am placing a lot of hope in this new Fisher CZX detector since its got a new type ground balance system, maybe digital ground noise filter or whatever, this will break the depth barrier for the vlf type detectors using the current ground balance sytem, plus you will be able to swing multiple times over a tiny nugget without ground balancing it out. Add to that dual freqs of  5khz and 45khz I bet its gonna be a gold getter. Lightweight, no learning curve, it could be a real winner.

• Like 2

In my effort to try and limit myself to only one model detector from each brand (as much as is possible!) I just sold my White's V3i to make room for the MX Sport. And Fisher F75 is up for sale now to make room for whatever Fisher comes up with next. Like you I am putting a lot of hope in this one.