Read What The Detector Tells You

Went detecting with a friend over the weekend. To one of his patches. Well let's just say. I got my ass handed to me. We were running same detectors, similar settings, same area. The difference is,he was pulling out numerous lil gold nuggets out. I wasn't! The faint signals he was hearing, I was writing off as ground noise.

I thought I was on the road to being a fairly proficient detectorist. Truth is, I have so much more to grow.

One thing is. I'm going to learn from this. This experience is making me more determined to really listen to what the gpz7000 is telling me. I've been stewing on this for 2 days now. I can't wait to get out again and learn more from him.

Luther teaching my puppy Rooster how to be a great detecting partner.

post-400-0-01547600-1447693478_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Scott

You are not the first person to suffer this humiliation at the hands of that expert. He is very much in tune with his detector. I think he has super sensitive hearing. I value his friendship and expertise as my mentor.  

Norm McQ

• Like 2

I do not want revenge nor am I humiliated. Nor do I keep score. But I am competitive. I just want to be the most proficient detectorist I can possibly be. Covering the ground and leaving as few of nuggets in the ground at the end of the day. It will happen. I have a great group of friends and mentors that I'm not afraid to ask them questions. My favorite motto is "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser".

• Like 1

I was told in Alaska at Ganes Creek that I was ultra competitive because I always strove to be number one on the finds score board. I tried hard to explain it was not wanting to beat others but only my desire to be very good at what I do. I am always out to learn more and if I see somebody consistently doing better than I then I want to know why and emulate whatever it is that is causing them to show me up. I do like to detect with top notch hunters because it helps me up my game by learning from them.

• Like 6

Couple of months ago on the way home from a fishing trip stopped at a rest area, fellow was detecting around the kids play area. Went over and got talking, introduced myself and he reached under shirt and exposed about a 1.5 ounce nugget on a chain and said this is what you left me. Turned out I`d taken his brother out for a weekend many years back. But that wasn`t the end of the story, the brother turned up for a visit last Saturday and had a photo of 75 ounces in 6 nuggets sitting on kitchen scales. Which he`d found behind me in that same area.

Stings a bit but as it has happened fairly often over the years I`m sort of used to it. Thing is I`m still in the same area and still getting the heavy stuff, competitive yes but its what you have in your pocket that counts. The operator who believes he leaves nothing is getting bugger all.

• Like 2

Norvic,

It's only numbers.

BIG NUMBERS for you and your friends!!!!!!

I go to places now where everyone is fighting the skunk.

We can find more meteorites than gold.

Mitchel