Gold Basin Goodies

Well, thanks to the GPZ and Roger D I had a fairly successful trip to Bill's Outing at Gold basin...This is my 6th trip with the 7000 and I have found gold every trip...I hope this never ends!!!

The rock to the left of the gold fooled me until I cleaned it up...it is the best Wrong I never wanted to find.

fred

017.JPG

020.JPG

• Like 1

So Fred, how does the GPZ do on the meteorites? Any special tuning needed or do they just act like a steel target? Any tendency to ground balance out?

Great finds! I have yet to find a meteorite that I know of. I am fairly certain I may have found some in the past and just tossed them as hot rocks but I pay more attention these days. I keep thinking I will go look for some but the search for gold keeps getting in the way.

WTG Fred!

Nice finds

Norm

Here is a link to the one and only Meteorite I've ever found.  Almost tossed it since I was detecting for gold and didn't know any better at the time.  Fortunately, the wife was smarter than I and we held onto it until it could be examined by a Museum.  Turned out to be the real deal.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=30451

• Like 1

Here is a link to the one and only Meteorite I've ever found.  Almost tossed it since I was detecting for gold and didn't know any better at the time.  Fortunately, the wife was smarter than I and we held onto it until it could be examined by a Museum.  Turned out to be the real deal.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=30451

"This is 1 of 88 approved meteorites from Colorado, United States (plus 5 unapproved names)"

WOW, now that is way cool! I have got to go find one now like that and get officially listed. Congrats, that is really great!

• Like 1

Thanks, guys.

Steve, these chrondrites give a strong signal on the surface a more muted signal at depth...as one might expect. The signal on smaller or deeper meteorites is very similar to a nugget. I presume that is because of the nickel/iron free metal.  An iron meteorite would sound like a bolt or nut or a freight train if it was big...

The one chrondrite I found in Oz sounded like a big nugget; but, it was a big surprise as I had looked for a wild meteorite (unknown fall) for many years.

The meteorite wrong sounded and acted just like the gold basins...one can be fooled if not cautious.

Lunar, non-chrondrites and planetary meteorites are beyond my experience...The ones I have seen would look and probably act like a hot or cold rock...maybe I will find one someday.

fred

• Like 1